Thread: Of neighbors and mothballs

Of neighbors and mothballs

I have been doing a lot of work in the backyard and over the past few days, detected a strong odor of benzene or naphtha. It is nauseating to say the least. When I put the trash in the alley this morning, I noticed that my next door neighbor has placed mothballs all along the perimeter of her back and side fence next to mine - with one every 3-4 inches. It seems to me that this might be dangerous for pets, birds or even people happening by. I am not the type to confront neighbors over things that bother me, but am very concerned about it. I get that things like skunks are problematic but if you keep your yard cleaned up and don't provide them food or shelter, they generally aren't an issue. Anyone dealt with a neighbor over this or a similar issue?

Heck, my mother almost poisoned my brother with the mothballs in the closet in his bedroom. Not much you can do except talk to them. All depends on the relationship and whether they have any idea that it is bothering you or care. I got a huge amount of info when I googled "are mothballs dangerous?" Maybe it would help support your position. Not an ordinary neighbor issue.

The research guaranteed I would not have them in my home.

Sweetana, did your research indicate effective repellent benefits in any way? I didn't think they were ultimately that helpful but I may be wrong.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

It appears they are effective in closed spaces used carefully according to the label instructions to keep away cloth moths. But it is an old wives tale and an unsafe method to use outside. Here is one article that appeared well written. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/pla...in-gardens.htm

Thread Information