Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How bad is your morning commute?

How bad is your morning commute?

Mine's dreadful, if I have to leave the house to work at the office. ~20 miles, so much traffic, and I can rarely get about 40mph the whole way.

And in the winter I need to wear a survival suit. (Well, actually, 3 seasons out of 4).

https://youtu.be/a23aki_JscM

12 minutes. 18 on a BAD day 6.5miles each way. I average 85miles/week on my car.

2 seconds? from the kitchen to the dining room.

My commute was about 30 minutes, but that's only because I wanted a run long enough to fully warm up the car. It was possible to make the trip in 12 minutes under the best conditions. Before I moved to this side of town, however, the drive was 45 minutes long at best -- and nasty weather and rush hour would push it past two hours.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Previously was 11 miles each way, about 30 minutes door to door if traffic was normal.

I read somewhere once that about 30 minutes or less is definitely doable for the average person, but any longer it gets stressful and increasingly miserable. Definitely a factor in a relative's recent decision to quit a job (she had a one hour commute each way) in favor of one just 5 minutes from her house. Moral: companies should consider geography and traffic patterns when locating their new headquarters. (she said others had quit or were not applying for positions due to this building's out of the way location, even though the building was new and they offered lots of trendy amenities.)

This commute just skirts the US/Canada border. In a region with high smuggling traffic.

I get stopped quite frequently by various agencies. They are usually quite professional and thorough.

I once got stopped by 4 different agencies along my route during a single trip (USCG, DEA, CBP, and Fish & Wildlife), which blew my 15 minute "slack time" I built into my schedule completely out of the water. None of them beat me or waterboarded me though. When I used to make this run in my larger vessel, the stops would take longer, which is one of the reasons I switched vessels. Plus this one goes considerably faster on far less fuel.

Nice video Bae.

I drive 3 miles one way along an older side street. Unless I go to the other location and then it's 20 minutes on the highway.

Yppej
    Where I am now it has ranged from 45 minutes to 1 1/4 hours. Summer is better because there are no school buses, people are on vacation and not driving during morning rush hour, and there is no snow or ice. If I get to work 20+ minutes early I take a walk.

When I was employed out of the home, I had a 45 mile commute of which the first 8 miles were gravel/blacktop roads until I got to an expressway. Traffic was not a problem but deer crossings, snow and ice in the winter and fog anytime of year were the hazards I faced Timewise it took from 1 to 1-½ hours to get to work. So glad that part of my life is over. Now I let the dogs out and make coffee.

bae, I'll take your commute over bumper to bumper on Route 1 (except in the winter, when I would probably prefer the mode of transport with the heater). As it is now, my commute is down the stairs and into my home office.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Thread Information