Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free Image Hosting sites?

The images I've included in posts here were hosted by tinypic (obvious url). It's free and simple and I don't have a problem if/when the link eventually ages off their server (what are the odds someone will dig back long enough to come across even the placeholder for it?). My professional images were on my Web site(s), so a rented version of the hosting Alan is talking about.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    The images I've included in posts here were hosted by tinypic (obvious url). It's free and simple and I don't have a problem if/when the link eventually ages off their server (what are the odds someone will dig back long enough to come across even the placeholder for it?). My professional images were on my Web site(s), so a rented version of the hosting Alan is talking about.
    Odd's depend on subject and type of forum. I am on a forum, where there are both how to discussions as well as refinishing discussions and looking at old threads is common, there. The photobucket thing, has really screwed up that.
    How long are tinypic's good for? Seen them age off in for sale sections as well, pretty quickly.

Thanks everyone. I need to figure this all out. I'm not very computer savvy. I just know that Photobucket made a huge, unreasonable change. And for them to remove my old pictures........well that doesn't seem right at all. No way will I stay with them.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    How long are tinypic's good for? Seen them age off in for sale sections as well, pretty quickly.
    No idea. The most recent time I used it was mid-August; that image is still in the thread.

I went looking for an old thread of mine in which I'd posted a picture and I spent more than enough time on searching without finding. Since my posts rarely rely on pictures to illustrate my point, I'll just let it be a mystery.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Bump.

I'm going to launch into a project to digitize my wife's parents' photo/slide archives, and I'd love to find an image-hosting site that:

a) allows for a large volume of data
    b) allows direct links to the photos to be grabbed for use on other websites (like here)
    c) is likely to be stable for some years to come, and/or offers easy import/export tools for your data
    d) has reasonable tools for organizing/tagging photos
    e) doesn't have to be free, but shouldn't be silly-expensive

I host my own on an old server in the basement. It's the only dependable means I know of.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I host my own on an old server in the basement. It's the only dependable means I know of.
    +1. Add some gallery software (something like ZenPhoto or jAlbum, which I've investigated but chose not to use*) and you've got what you want. Your (c) is going to knock most commercial sites (SmugMug, flickr, etc.) out of the water, especially if "free" is particularly appealing.

* I had looked at gallery software early on for my business but figured that 1) no prospective customer would want to page through galleries of projects; and 2) I didn't want to put that much time into managing that Web-site content. A few well-chosen portfolio images illustrated my work just as well.

Thread Information