Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Free Image Hosting sites?

  1. #1
    Senior Member CathyA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    7,952

    Free Image Hosting sites?

    Photobucket has changed and I don't want to pay what they want, in order to share pictures on forums like this one.
    Anyone have a favorite one that's free.......or at least reasonable?
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,670
    I used to use Picasa until Google broke it.

    I switched to Imgur which seems to work, though it's not as handy as Picasa once was.

  3. #3
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,242
    Amazon has photo hosting included with Prime, but I haven't explored it.

  4. #4
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    6,670
    The key requirement for me was that you be able to get a direct link to your photo, so you could use it to embed the photo using the IMG tags in sites like this. Many of the free sites will no longer allow you to direct link the image, but instead give you a link to a more complex object, which is useless for this.

  5. #5
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,103
    I run my own webserver at home and just upload images to an image directory there. Easy initial setup and little to no ongoing maintenance and you have complete control. The only drawback is dedicating a machine to the task.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,303
    Shoot. The only reason I have a photobucket account is for this site. Do they really expect that people will pay $399 for that service? I'm generally not price sensitive for anything under $100, especially for a one time expense, but at $400/year this is crazy pricey. They had a link at the top of the page to take a survey. I've voiced my displeasure...

    Alan, how difficult is it to set up a home web server. I assume some tweaking of our router's firewall is necessary? Also, occasionally comcast seems to change our IP address. Is that an issue? And lastly, would a raspberry pi be up for the task? I bought one a while back and have messed around with it some but now it's just sitting on a shelf gathering dust.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Rogar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    2,320
    Have you looked into Flickr. They used to be a popular free hosting site but things seem to have changed the last few years. I pay to use Smugmug, but they've increased their fees to where it's on the border of being cost effective.

  8. #8
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,103
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Shoot. The only reason I have a photobucket account is for this site. Do they really expect that people will pay $399 for that service? I'm generally not price sensitive for anything under $100, especially for a one time expense, but at $400/year this is crazy pricey. They had a link at the top of the page to take a survey. I've voiced my displeasure...

    Alan, how difficult is it to set up a home web server. I assume some tweaking of our router's firewall is necessary? Also, occasionally comcast seems to change our IP address. Is that an issue? And lastly, would a raspberry pi be up for the task? I bought one a while back and have messed around with it some but now it's just sitting on a shelf gathering dust.
    It's not too difficult at all. If you're running Windows, simply activate IIS (Internet Information Services) and turn on Port Forwarding in your router (forwarding all Port 80, or whichever port you decide to use, to the internal IP of the server). Since you have a dynamic external IP through your ISP, set up an account with a Dynamic DNS service such as DYNDNS (dyn.com) to ensure you'll always be able to reach your server from the internet, and you're done. The one caveat to that is there is a small annual fee for the DNS service, not sure how much, I have several accounts but they're so old I was grandfathered in when they converted to a pay service.

    You could also use an Apache web server on any operating system you choose, (apache.org).

    I'm not familiar enough with the Raspberry PI to have an opinion, although I don't see why you couldn't use it as well.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    3,061
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

    You could also use an Apache web server on any operating system you choose, (apache.org).

    I'm not familiar enough with the Raspberry PI to have an opinion, although I don't see why you couldn't use it as well.
    Your not familiar with the hardware, your certainly familiar with the software, as various Linux distro's are the main OS's for it.
    The big trick for it is how many pictures as you would probably have to end up with a USB storage device for more then a few small ones, that would fit on an SD card. (other then a test, an SD card really isn't effective)

  10. #10
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    5,103
    Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    The big trick for it is how many pictures as you would probably have to end up with a USB storage device for more then a few small ones, that would fit on an SD card. (other then a test, an SD card really isn't effective)
    Don't they come with usb ports where you could easily add a portable drive?

    Edited to add: Sorry, missed your reference to that in my initial read-through.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •