Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Government Shutdown

Question Government Shutdown

I am wondering if there is anything one can do to prepare for a government shutdown. Cash on hand? Bottled water? Extra pantry supplies? Guns and ammo?
    I'm right in the path of Harvey so I'm prepared for a hurricane but I'm not sure if that covers a government shutdown too.

Yppej
    If your income comes from the Federal government have liquid savings or a line of credit.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    What do you think will personally effect you? Essential services such as the VA, postal service for instance still go on.

At any time there can be a broken pipe, train derailment, hurricane or tornado. So what you are doing to prepare for a hurricane is probably what we all need to do. If you want to go to the smithsonian, get a passport for instance you will be out of luck.

Stupid.

What did you do during the last ones?

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    What did you do during the last ones?
    That was my reaction as well.

Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Obama all had the "shutdowns" so I guess pull out your "shutdown" emergency kit, whatever that is.

Seems like they just shut down the parks and threaten to stop the SS checks. If they shut down to many government agencys they are afraid no one would notice.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    I am wondering if there is anything one can do to prepare for a government shutdown. Cash on hand? Bottled water? Extra pantry supplies? Guns and ammo?
    I'm right in the path of Harvey so I'm prepared for a hurricane but I'm not sure if that covers a government shutdown too.
    Florence, for starters, here's a sincere wish for you and yours that you remain safe from the hurricane. I will light a candle for you and wish for your safety.

Moving along, here is what many in the 85006 are doing (and have done before in the face of government shutdowns): Buy some cheap canned goods and store them somewhere out of direct heat. Ditto dried beans and rice - a couple 10 to 20 pound bags would do. If things don't get bad, no loss, and once the dust settles, you consume these stockpiled goods. Cash on hand is a great thing, coupled with some silver coins (in case things get REALLY bad). Of course I have for years recommended having two bags packed at all times - this is a situation in which you may be grateful to have done this. Stockpiled meds if you take meds - legal medicinal herbs, a bottle of aspirin, extra pair of glasses (Mexico is good for extra glasses and very cheap), band aids in case things get crazy.....some kind of plan to get out of Dodge if such clearly becomes the best option at hand. There are many other tips and pointers but these come to mind off the top of my head....and also take into account any pets you may have - stockpile some cheap pet food.....another good idea is to buy a cheap solar powered/hand crank flashlight/radio/NOAA weather radio off Amazon.com - even if things don't get crazy, it's practical to have if your power goes out. I use mine several times a year in the Arizona monsoon as the power often goes out during summer storms in Phoenix. Just some quick ideas, I'm certainly not the definitive source to turn to for everything you could do, however. Hope this helps. And stay safe! Rob

Good lord.

I run a small airport here.

The FAA pays for 90% or so of expenses related to runways, lighting, and such.

Several government shutdowns ago, we were about to repave the main runway and taxiways. The project was all engineered and designed, and all that remained was for a single FAA signature to be placed on a sheet of paper, so that the funds could be directed to us.

The government shutdown caused that piece of paper to not get signed because the person responsible could not report to work.

As a result, the funding was not allocated, because the deadline for the funding cycle was missed.

Several things happened due to that:

- The $7 million project that was going to begin in 45 days did not happen, so people who were relying on this work had to find other things to do. Jobs were lost, and one small business closed up shop entirely.

- The rules for runway planning/design changed before the next funding cycle, so the project had to be re-engineered (at a cost of ~$700k), and the previous $400k of design work was essentially wasted.

- $2 million of federal funding had to be used over the next several years to repair the runway until such a time as the paperwork for the repaving could be completed

- The new project, which will be 4-5 years after the original completion timeline, will be costing about $13 million once the dust settles.

So, government efficiency and an excellent use of your tax dollars!

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post

Several government shutdowns ago, we were about to repave the main runway and taxiways.
    The last shutdown was under Obama and the two before that were under Clinton. Those have been the only 3 over the past 27 years or so. Actually, over most citizen's lifetimes** the majority of government shutdowns have occurred with Democratic Presidents and Democratic controlled Congresses.

I think the answer to this problem is clear.....

**There were no government shutdowns before Carter. When there were budget disputes and either Congress or the President failed to enable a new budget, things just slogged on until an agreement was obtained. The Democrats changed that which led to 5 separate shutdowns during Carter's one term in office.
    Isn't history cool?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information