Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amazon's prices going up and down

Amazon's prices going up and down

I guess it's sort of like gambling. If I see the price going down on something I want, it's hard to know when to buy it, because it can suddenly go up. But recently, I bought something and it continued to go down by several dollars. I guess it's just a gamble.
    One thing I bought went down several dollars the very next day. I knew they wouldn't give me a price adjustment, but they did give me a $5.00 courtesy credit!.....which was more than what I was asking for.

It happened again yesterday and I wonder how many times they'll do that?! I guess it wouldn't hurt to try.

For me it isn't about gambling. Do I need or want the item? Is it a fair price? Have I also checked elsewhere, is it the lowest price?
    Often, books or movies, I would buy used (books frequently for $.01 + $3.99 shipping), because they are easily had for less then Amazon's "free shipping" price.

There are sites like camelcamelcamel dot com, to help you track prices, or you can just add them to your cart, then save them for check out later and watch them. I do that with cd's, as about once a year, I go on a binge run (typically $100) and get more music (which I digitize for home and rotate cd's in the vehicle).
    But it isn't the Amazon of old. No price mixes, where you buy x, y and z and end up getting them for nearly free (tools several years ago), and their "prime" stuff doesn't support my choice of OS for watching video's, along with POing the mail carriers and I really generally don't need stuff that quick. I have needed and used prime as a trial, once to get something for work, that was out of stock at all the normal sites. Otherwise I can send a package to a commercial/business address, and get what I want quicker then having it shipped home.
    Don't blame the tool for the user!

I dont worry about getting the rock bottom price on anything, it just isnt worth the brainspace to me. I dont consider that an important part of simplicity. It is far more important to choose wisely the thing you (generic you) DO buy. Certanly price paid is one aspect of frugality, but only one.

I have a friend who always shops "sales" and seems to place importance on some sort of "discount," but that friend is still working and cant afford to retire. I dont think that philosophy serves her well, especially since she puts everything on a credit card and pays a minimum each month. Any money she "saved" is eaten up by interest.

I use "saved" in quotes because no one actually saves money by buying stuff.

Yeah, it probably is a waste of my life's energy to worry about a few dollars. I think I'll quit doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I dont worry about getting the rock bottom price on anything, it just isnt worth the brainspace to me. I dont consider that an important part of simplicity. It is far more important to choose wisely the thing you (generic you) DO buy. Certanly price paid is one aspect of frugality, but only one.

I have a friend who always shops "sales" and seems to place importance on some sort of "discount," but that friend is still working and cant afford to retire. I dont think that philosophy serves her well, especially since she puts everything on a credit card and pays a minimum each month. Any money she "saved" is eaten up by interest.

I use "saved" in quotes because no one actually saves money by buying stuff.
    I think you are spot on. My philosophy exactly. The time I've seen people spend clipping coupons (which are a thing of the past now, anyway) for a few cents on processed foods that are probably making you ill. I'll save that money and put it towards decent, healthy food. Or people who buy 5 shirts on sale. I'll pay full price (well, maybe not FULL price, but I won't be THAT price conscious) for one shirt. I read a simple living blog article recently about someone who feels that each item of clothing you pay for should be $150. Sounds crazy, can't remember the reasoning to be honest,* but he made a good point. I think it was really about choosing mindfully vs unconsciously consuming.

*Gotta love Google. I found the article. What do you think?
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

One thing I've noticed about Amazon - they serve as the storefront for lots of vendors selling the exact same goods.

Often the first choice you have offered isn't necessarily the cheapest - there's a small link on the item page saying something like "This item also offered by 872 other vendors" - if you click on that link, you can see all the Amazon pricing options.

Sometimes the first page they offer isn't even Amazon-sold, so they sometimes overprice or undercut their own offerings.

Anyways, if it's an item of any significant price, I always click on the other-sellers link to see what the deal is, there are sometimes huge variations.

There are also some browser plugins that do that work for you, I've not messed with them

I'm beginning to really dislike Amazon. The constant price changes are one issue, another is having them substitute items, and another is having things delayed for weeks when they were supposed to be 2-day shipping. I detest having to make returns! Huge waste of my time, and some times funds. Ordered a couple of summer clothing items, when they didn't arrive after 5 weeks, I had to make a time consuming phone call to get my refund. I was going to buy lopers, but they increased the price by $8. Happened by Harbor Freight yesterday; browsed while my friend purchased, ended up buying lopers for $7.99! So glad I did not pay $18.99 on Amazon!!!

I've had very good luck with DH's Amazon prime. Very seldom has it not arrived in 2 days. I only had to return something once and it wasn't a problem. I don't know if the good service is because I live about 10 miles from an Amazon distribution hub. (unfortunately)......out in the country. But I guess if I don't like it there, I shouldn't be buying from them.

I have no complaints about Amazon. If there's something I like that IMO is too expensive, I look around, compare prices, and buy elsewhere or wait awhile until the price goes down. I love their locker system, as well as the Kindle PC app, Amazon Prime, and now their acquisition of Whole Foods.

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I think you are spot on. My philosophy exactly. The time I've seen people spend clipping coupons (which are a thing of the past now, anyway) for a few cents on processed foods that are probably making you ill. I'll save that money and put it towards decent, healthy food. Or people who buy 5 shirts on sale. I'll pay full price (well, maybe not FULL price, but I won't be THAT price conscious) for one shirt. I read a simple living blog article recently about someone who feels that each item of clothing you pay for should be $150. Sounds crazy, can't remember the reasoning to be honest,* but he made a good point. I think it was really about choosing mindfully vs unconsciously consuming.

*Gotta love Google. I found the article. What do you think?
    If the recent common wisdom is correct that fast clothes represent a huge source of waste, then yeah, buying higher quality clothng is a good idea. But that pretty much cuts the fashion industry way way down.

Thread Information