Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazon's prices going up and down

Never heart the title "fast clothes" until last night on Project Runway. Makes sense. Buy, wear, throw away and start again in a short period of time. I always thought what a waste. Maybe it was more about my hatred of shopping for clothes instilled in me as a child with the total embarrassment of shopping with mom and grandmother.

However, I cannot remember ever buying myself something that was $150. Maybe once I spent that much on multiple pieces. But then, I dont dress fashionably, wear tshirts, sweatpants and yoga pants at home, and wear things out. My single fancy evening outfit is an Indian embroidered set which is covered in gold embroidery and is wrinkle free. $20 on ebay. Used to have a Halston tissue chiffon topper but it was a garage sale find. Finally donated it since it was not packable.

I looked at the 150 dollar clothing blog and it left me unimpressed. Since I buy things like t shirts and shorts, and spend my life gardening, walking dogs, and going to the library, it seemed pretty irrelevant. In no world would I ever need to pay 150 dollars for a t shirt. I try to buy clothes at the thrift shop anyway.

Now I can see that for something like a coat--buy better quality for something that lasts years. But I wear most of my clothes out and have to throw them away at the end of their usefulness, so this would not apply to me very well.

As far as clothes......or many things, I don't get why we all can't wear things until they fall off. Maybe I just never felt good in certain clothes, shoes, etc.........but why concentrate on external things? Let's build up our self esteems from the inside.
    Was it the rulers and high society people who set these "standards"? I've had the same dishes for about 35 years. Some have chips, cracks, stains.....but why throw them away? Why do we have to "look" perfect, at the expense of the environment?
    What's wrong with anything, as long as it's clean? And as far as "wear a couple times and throw away".......don't we have a garbage problem? Don't we have floating plastic islands in the oceans? Don't we have contaminated air and water? We just don't need what we think we need......... (myself included).

Just wondering.......

She has to really go out of her way to find clothes costing $150 I'd figure, because almost no new clothes do these days. But I guess she likes high fashion labels.

I find all the extreme positions pretty impractical in the real world, yes you could be her if you are a clothes horse and spend a lot of time thinking about clothes (which strikes me as incredibly boring but ...). You could just not care about your external appearance at all but the rest of the world still does. There is probably something to dressing for success, I've just always tended to more casual than to ever really make work (I don't wear jeans or anything, so I'm not *that* casual, but I am pretty casual, luckily my work places have all been fairly casual even if they try to have a stricter dress codes. There probably is an advantage to exceeding the dress code but it just really doesn't come easy to me even when I try).
    Trees don't grow on money

I once spent close to that on some shoes for work. While they were technically required, I was informed that don't wear then on that job, as the safety aspect (steel toes) would cause one to get burns. (paving)
    I wore then to my second job (part time) and in less then 30 days, they were falling apart, and looked worse then my 6 month old Payless shoe store shoes. Never bought from them again, and have a fear of expensive shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    I once spent close to that on some shoes for work. While they were technically required, I was informed that don't wear then on that job, as the safety aspect (steel toes) would cause one to get burns. (paving)
    I wore then to my second job (part time) and in less then 30 days, they were falling apart, and looked worse then my 6 month old Payless shoe store shoes. Never bought from them again, and have a fear of expensive shoes.
    I bought a pair of (for me) expensive Italian shoes with part of my first-ever paycheck. They're the only shoes I ever wore out when my toe rubbed a hole in the upper. I'm with you re expensive shoes; buy them for style or fit if you like, but don't expect them to last any longer than cheap ones.

I keep thinking of all the stuff that goes into landfills.
    I know leather probably degrades, but....think of all the parts of shoes that aren't more natural.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I keep thinking of all the stuff that goes into landfills.
    I know leather probably degrades, but....think of all the parts of shoes that aren't more natural.
    Much for future anthropologists to contemplate.
    Or they can just be made into fuel.

I did buy a pair of Mestphiso sandals and wore them nearly every day, summer and winter for 7 or 8 years. I only got rid of them after a weird foot infection that could have been chemical or bacterial and the wound person said get rid of the sandals in case they carried the bacteria if that's what it was. They still had good wear in them.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Much for future anthropologists to contemplate.
    Or they can just be made into fuel.
    Yeah, DH wondered once if all our garbage/plastics, etc., would eventually deteriorate into something useful in a few thousand/million years.... That would be nice, I guess.

Thread Information