Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Amazon's prices going up and down

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    I did buy a pair of Mestphiso sandals and wore them nearly every day, summer and winter for 7 or 8 years. I only got rid of them after a weird foot infection that could have been chemical or bacterial and the wound person said get rid of the sandals in case they carried the bacteria if that's what it was. They still had good wear in them.
    Wow! Did you have separation anxiety? Unfortunately, I have to change my New Balance more often than necessary because of my funky legs/feet.....and I change their shape, which messes up my legs/feet further. But.......my other clothes I wear are falling apart. I save my "good" stuff for when I go out. That means my good jeans and my pocket tees that don't have holes.

You know that old saw "You can't take it with you?"
    I'm planning to take my shoe collection with me. I'm on the ancient Egyptian golden boat death plan...

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    You know that old saw "You can't take it with you?"
    I'm planning to take my shoe collection with me. I'm on the ancient Egyptian golden boat death plan...

I don't shop much but I do buy in town not online. At least buying here (chain or not), puts $ into my own community, employs someone feeding them/paying their own bills....not to mention no generating trash of boxes/packing material.

I personally hate to see the world shift to online shopping...and it has created so much more shopping and debt. I find very little positive in online shopping frankly.

I do the bulk of my shopping (except groceries) on line, for logistical reasons. I'm eternally grateful Amazon is a local company for me, and I also use eBay and Etsy (small independent sellers).

Interestingly, I bought a couple of items at a local Ace Hardware recently, and was appalled at the quality. Fortunately, I can buy my usual brand .... at Amazon.

I will look for things on Amazon and then jump over onto Ebay to see if I can get it cheaper and with free shipping (no, I do not have Prime!). I'm not really buying much these days, but did need the choir score for the Messiah and found it way cheaper on Ebay with free shipping.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Speaking of eBay......do any of you worry about getting bedbugs in anything used? I suppose that goes for roaches too, but bedbugs are hell to get rid of. DD got them in a house she and a couple other girls rented awhile back. We're sure they were there beforehand, but weren't told. It was hell for her. She was bedridden for several days because of severe vertigo (almost non-existent vitamin D level), and just had to let them bite her. But she rallied and would wash her linens every single day, and wash and dry every cloth thing she owned and packed them away in new sealed plastic containers. She would freeze books, etc. I bought her a special steamer to kill bedbugs. It was a nightmare and I would make her go through special procedures when she came home. Sorry, I digress. But I've been reading about people who got them from an eBay purchase. So......I'm extra cautious there. Sorry for the awful story.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Speaking of eBay......do any of you worry about getting bedbugs in anything used?
    I would venture a guess, it would depend on the types of stuff you get off of Ebay. For me, it has typically been items made of metal (specialty tools I don't want to pay retail for, a lawn mower part, etc).
    Now maybe if I was stupid enough to order a bed frame that is metal and can be had for $10 or less, locally.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    Speaking of eBay......do any of you worry about getting bedbugs in anything used? I suppose that goes for roaches too, but bedbugs are hell to get rid of. DD got them in a house she and a couple other girls rented awhile back. We're sure they were there beforehand, but weren't told. It was hell for her. She was bedridden for several days because of severe vertigo (almost non-existent vitamin D level), and just had to let them bite her. But she rallied and would wash her linens every single day, and wash and dry every cloth thing she owned and packed them away in new sealed plastic containers. She would freeze books, etc. I bought her a special steamer to kill bedbugs. It was a nightmare and I would make her go through special procedures when she came home. Sorry, I digress. But I've been reading about people who got them from an eBay purchase. So......I'm extra cautious there. Sorry for the awful story.
    I checked out a book from the Phoenix public library back in 2011 when I was livin' in the 85006.

I set it on my coffee table for a couple hours. Then I took it into the bathroom for some reading on the throne. I noticed a little brown speck fall out and land on the floor. I picked it up and realized it was a damn bed bug!

I took the book and threw it in the freezer and put the "specimen" in a small ziplock bag. I put it in the freezer too. I inspected the areas where the book was but saw nothing.

The apartment manager sent in the exterminator to look at the bug. He was like: "That there is a bedbug -- one of the damn tiniest ones I ever seen. How'd you know what it was?"

I said: "I have been scared of them for years. I did my research."

He then flipped through the book and saw a couple others in there smashed. He said: "Whoever had the book before you had one hell of an infestation."

We waited months, constantly inspecting. And in the end there was no infestation. I was really lucky. The exterminator said: "Being vigilant can pay off once in a while."

So a simple, small library book darned near infested my apartment with bed bugs. You cannot be too careful!

I've recently ordered several items of clothing from eBay, with which I've been completely satisfied. I always wash used clothing right away, and I've never had a problem with any kind of pests--from thrift stores or otherwise. It's a good thing, since most of my clothes are curated from the thrifts.

Thread Information