Thread: Cash-Back Credit Cards - "How to Cash In"

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Cash-Back Credit Cards - "How to Cash In"

Great article in the Sept. 2017 Consumer Reports magazine titled "How to Cash In on Cash-Back Credit Cards."

I do not personally have one of these, but have friends that use them for the rewards. This article explains how they work and gives details on which cards would be right for you, e.g., large family, or retired couple, or single professional, etc.

Also, the same issue contains other articles on prescription medications, the new solar roofing material, and the best time of year to get the best deals on appliances and televisions. That's along with their usual review of certain car categories.
    I'm a subscriber, but you'll get a big bang for the buck for this issue.

Thanks, Lainey! I love to play with credit cards for fun and profit, so I will check it out. I have free online access via my local library.

Lainey, what application allows consumer reports viewing? Straight through consumerreports.com or a third party application?

Quote Originally Posted by simplelife4me View Post
    Lainey, what application allows consumer reports viewing? Straight through consumerreports.com or a third party application?
    Not sure, I have a subscription and get the magazine in the mail. I think that gives me online access too, but not sure about non-subscribers.

Williamsmith
    I checked out the details on this and their recommendation for me didn't make sense. I pretty much use the Citibank double cash card which gives me 2% back on every single purchase no matter the category. They wanted me to augment that with another card that got higher percentage back on certain specific categories like groceries. However it did not apply to big box stores...there is a definition believe it or not...and it includes WalMart where I buy a lot of food. Now I am remembering that it was an American Express Card. But the Amex card had an annual fee of nearly 100 doallars in addition. That cuts in big time on the savings. So for me, it was more of an advertising gimmick to get people to consider adding more credit cards which of course exposes you to more interest payments. And these interest rates are astronomical. I take the simple route and use strictly one card.

Are you really getting money back?
    https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...or-credit-card

If using plastic causes you to spend more money, and also causes you to pay higher prices to cover fee's? We all (including cash users) pay higher prices for fraud that plastic brings (charge backs, ID theft sales, etc).

Thread Information