Page 16 of 54 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBT rights in the USA today...

The average yahoo is free to spew his hate speech among the like-minded, but is it too much to ask that our elected leaders at least temper theirs? Marjorie Taylor-Greene stating--with no evidence at all--that Democrats have started killing Republicans? Trump and others incessantly banging on about evil immigrants and asylum-seekers? The ceaseless anti-trans narrative that suggests they somehow harm children? A lot of public figures are on the record saying Democrats should be killed--(Ted Nugent, MTG, Trump retweet). Perfectly OK?

(Don't shoot--I'm an independent!)

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The average yahoo is free to spew his hate speech among the like-minded, but is it too much to ask that our elected leaders at least temper theirs? Marjorie Taylor-Greene stating--with no evidence at all--that Democrats have started killing Republicans? Trump and others incessantly banging on about evil immigrants and asylum-seekers? The ceaseless anti-trans narrative that suggests they somehow harm children? A lot of public figures are on the record saying Democrats should be killed--(Ted Nugent, MTG, Trump retweet). Perfectly OK?

(Don't shoot--I'm an independent!)
    It’s not ok, and we address that by voting the bastards out. But let us not go down the path of the righteous Austrians who throw their Wrong-thinkers in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It’s not ok, and we address that by voting the bastards out. But let us not go down the path of the righteous Austrians who throw their Wrong-thinkers in jail.
    How’d that ‘vote MTG out’ thing work out? Or the ‘don’t vote for the presidential candidate that mocks disabled people and calls mexican immigrants rapists and murderers’ thing. Since one of our political parties has figured out that whipping up hatred and fear is a successful electoral strategy there’s not much to be done beyond pointing out that collectively they are a bunch of mean, shitty people who don’t care that their words cause harmful actions.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    How’d that ‘vote MTG out’ thing work out? Or the ‘don’t vote for the presidential candidate that mocks disabled people and calls mexican immigrants rapists and murderers’ thing. Since one of our political parties has figured out that whipping up hatred and fear is a successful electoral strategy there’s not much to be done beyond pointing out that collectively they are a bunch of mean, shitty people who don’t care that their words cause harmful actions.
    Well see,JP, you have only one vote because you’re one person. There’s a couple hundred million others who also will vote not necessary based on the sticks and stones words.

But if you’d rather have your guy in the White House just throw the wrong thinkers in jail…yikes.

That worked somewhat in the last election; I hope it's a continuing trend.
    Maybe less-rabid Republicans could stand up and condemn at least the most egregious examples. Not holding my breath.

But if you’d rather have your guy in the White House just throw the wrong thinkers in jail…yikes.
    I don't see wrong thinkers being thrown in jail right now. I do see the floor in a place I've been to strewn with bodies and covered with blood.

Hand-wringing about "OMG, we're gonna be censored" seems a bit....precious.... at the moment.

Shame.

Well see,JP, you have only one vote because you’re one person. There’s a couple hundred million others who also will vote not necessary based on the sticks and stones words.

I’m not saying throw them in jail. I’m suggesting that republicans who claim to find them offensive need to actually show that it’s unacceptable by not voting for the turds. Otherwise I’ll continue to assume that those voters are cool with their politicians being bullies who get people killed.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I’m not saying throw them in jail. I’m suggesting that republicans who claim to find them offensive need to actually show that it’s unacceptable by not voting for the turds. Otherwise I’ll continue to assume that those voters are cool with their politicians being bullies who get people killed.
    I may be a bit behind on my daily outrage consumption, can you tell me what Republican politicians have said to cause the latest 'crazy guy with a gun' event?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Gaslighting.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I don't see wrong thinkers being thrown in jail right now. I do see the floor in a place I've been to strewn with bodies and covered with blood.

Hand-wringing about "OMG, we're gonna be censored" seems a bit....precious.... at the moment.

Shame.
    Does this mean you do not agree with the junk spewed by nut jobs, but more importantly, you do not support their right to say it?

Thread Information