Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBT rights in the USA today...

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    if several people have commented on you coming across as not having empathy perhaps you should pay attention.
    I think it just means that I should probably take a short break from these "Oh woe is me, I'm being victimized again" threads. Carry on.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Mexico City, IIRC, is home to some eight million Mexicans, so that's no small accomplishment.

I just came across a review of this book: The Autobiography of a Transgender Scientist, by Ben Barres, MIT Press (2018)
    It might make for interesting reading; he looks like an admirable example of someone who dealt with gender identity issues.

I had two thoughts when I read that NYT article.

1. What about intersexed babies? I believe current research suggests letting these children grow up and decide for themselves if they wish to identify as male, female, or both. Which this law would not allow. In fact, this law doesn't seem to take certain scientific facts into consideration.

2. The continuing, on-going utter and blatant hypocrisy of those in government who claim to want fewer regulations, fewer laws, more choice/freedom for individuals, but who also dream up things like this, a law that will limit and constrict many people. It seems that less regulation is out the door when more regulation can do harm to people--more restrictive immigration and abortion laws, for example, as well as this proposal.

I want to know, what difference does it make? If someone born with male genitalia identifies more as a woman and chooses to live their life as a woman, how does this affect anyone else? It's their own business. it does not affect my life in the slightest. And if it makes their life better, surely that is a good thing?

I'm far more worried about other things, like all the untrained gun owners out there, than the off-chance I might have to share a public restroom with a transgender person.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think it just means that I should probably take a short break from these "Oh woe is me, I'm being victimized again" threads. Carry on.
    Said by the most empathetic person ever.

Ypejji, Alan’s grandson will qualify for SSI and Medicaid due to his severe disability. The reason for the extra years of school is because the pace of learning is slower. It is money well spent.

Yppej
    Special needs programs can be very expensive. Some towns encourage families with special needs children to move elsewhere because it is a budget buster for them. Maybe these are costs that should be Federalized so they can be spread over a larger population.

States get federal money for education.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Special needs programs can be very expensive. Some towns encourage families with special needs children to move elsewhere because it is a budget buster for them. Maybe these are costs that should be Federalized so they can be spread over a larger population.
    Growing the Federal govnment is not a good idea.

We send $1 to Washington and it comes back to us in what amount? $.65? $. 72? .$.54? Something like that.

yea, special education programs are expensive. In my region, eveyone with a special needs kid moves to South
    county because the school district there has well developed Sp Ed programs. Our own city public school,system, despite very high per pupil funding, cannot produce these programs.

My island had its first Pride event this weekend.

It was organized on short notice, by some young folks in the community, who weren't familiar with the normal protocols and methods followed to secure the Village Green, advertise events, and schedule around the busy summer/tourist event chaos. With some additional support, they managed to pull it off.

Saturday is the day of our Farmer's Market on the Green, and was also the Solstice Parade, which marks really the transition point between locals-dominated events, and touristy events. After the Solstice Parade, our locals-events are weird, as you feel like an animal in the zoo as twice as many tourists stand around watching our quaint ways as there are islanders participating. The Pride event was scheduled for the next day, Sunday.

Only two weeks before the event, in additional to social media outreach, physical posters went up in town. On billboards, and posted in the windows of many shops in the village.

So, this is the most "progressive" county in the state, and it is a pretty progressive state.

Nonetheless, posters were torn down (*), and some merchants had angry people in their stores yelling at them for daring to put up the notices in the windows. Several notices of trespass were served, the Sheriff had to remove several people, and law enforcement is now investigating some hate crimes that occurred.

The event itself went off very nicely, the weather was good, several great bands showed up to play at the bandstand during the day, local community service groups set up booths to raise awareness of available services and resources, there were also educational booths for various LGBTQIA+ issues, and there were some nice speeches. Only one person acted out during the event, and the Sheriff and Fire Department quickly resolved the situation.

It was an explicitly non-commercial event, so there were no vendors there, as seems to be the case these days in more mainstream Pride events. The coop grocery store across the street kindly had an array of inexpensive food/drink items ready if people were motivated to walk 100 feet.

It was a great shame to see the pre-event hate, but the event itself was very welcoming to all.

(*) Also, someone replaced many of the event posters with this:

pride.jpg

Thread Information