Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 160 of 345

Thread: LGBT rights in the USA today...

  1. #151
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15,146
    The average yahoo is free to spew his hate speech among the like-minded, but is it too much to ask that our elected leaders at least temper theirs? Marjorie Taylor-Greene stating--with no evidence at all--that Democrats have started killing Republicans? Trump and others incessantly banging on about evil immigrants and asylum-seekers? The ceaseless anti-trans narrative that suggests they somehow harm children? A lot of public figures are on the record saying Democrats should be killed--(Ted Nugent, MTG, Trump retweet). Perfectly OK?

    (Don't shoot--I'm an independent!)

  2. #152
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    23,224
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The average yahoo is free to spew his hate speech among the like-minded, but is it too much to ask that our elected leaders at least temper theirs? Marjorie Taylor-Greene stating--with no evidence at all--that Democrats have started killing Republicans? Trump and others incessantly banging on about evil immigrants and asylum-seekers? The ceaseless anti-trans narrative that suggests they somehow harm children? A lot of public figures are on the record saying Democrats should be killed--(Ted Nugent, MTG, Trump retweet). Perfectly OK?

    (Don't shoot--I'm an independent!)
    Itís not ok, and we address that by voting the bastards out. But let us not go down the path of the righteous Austrians who throw their Wrong-thinkers in jail.

  3. #153
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,827
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Itís not ok, and we address that by voting the bastards out. But let us not go down the path of the righteous Austrians who throw their Wrong-thinkers in jail.
    Howíd that Ďvote MTG outí thing work out? Or the Ďdonít vote for the presidential candidate that mocks disabled people and calls mexican immigrants rapists and murderersí thing. Since one of our political parties has figured out that whipping up hatred and fear is a successful electoral strategy thereís not much to be done beyond pointing out that collectively they are a bunch of mean, shitty people who donít care that their words cause harmful actions.

  4. #154
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    23,224
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    How’d that ‘vote MTG out’ thing work out? Or the ‘don’t vote for the presidential candidate that mocks disabled people and calls mexican immigrants rapists and murderers’ thing. Since one of our political parties has figured out that whipping up hatred and fear is a successful electoral strategy there’s not much to be done beyond pointing out that collectively they are a bunch of mean, shitty people who don’t care that their words cause harmful actions.
    Well see,JP, you have only one vote because you’re one person. There’s a couple hundred million others who also will vote not necessary based on the sticks and stones words.

    But if you’d rather have your guy in the White House just throw the wrong thinkers in jail…yikes.

  5. #155
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    15,146
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    It’s not ok, and we address that by voting the bastards out. But let us not go down the path of the righteous Austrians who throw their Wrong-thinkers in jail.
    That worked somewhat in the last election; I hope it's a continuing trend.
    Maybe less-rabid Republicans could stand up and condemn at least the most egregious examples. Not holding my breath.

  6. #156
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    10,933
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post

    But if you’d rather have your guy in the White House just throw the wrong thinkers in jail…yikes.
    I don't see wrong thinkers being thrown in jail right now. I do see the floor in a place I've been to strewn with bodies and covered with blood.

    Hand-wringing about "OMG, we're gonna be censored" seems a bit....precious.... at the moment.

    Shame.

  7. #157
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    8,827
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Well see,JP, you have only one vote because you’re one person. There’s a couple hundred million others who also will vote not necessary based on the sticks and stones words.

    But if you’d rather have your guy in the White House just throw the wrong thinkers in jail…yikes.
    Iím not saying throw them in jail. Iím suggesting that republicans who claim to find them offensive need to actually show that itís unacceptable by not voting for the turds. Otherwise Iíll continue to assume that those voters are cool with their politicians being bullies who get people killed.

  8. #158
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    8,995
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I’m not saying throw them in jail. I’m suggesting that republicans who claim to find them offensive need to actually show that it’s unacceptable by not voting for the turds. Otherwise I’ll continue to assume that those voters are cool with their politicians being bullies who get people killed.
    I may be a bit behind on my daily outrage consumption, can you tell me what Republican politicians have said to cause the latest 'crazy guy with a gun' event?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  9. #159
    Senior Member bae's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Offshore
    Posts
    10,933
    Gaslighting.

  10. #160
    Senior Member iris lilies's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Always logged in
    Posts
    23,224
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I don't see wrong thinkers being thrown in jail right now. I do see the floor in a place I've been to strewn with bodies and covered with blood.

    Hand-wringing about "OMG, we're gonna be censored" seems a bit....precious.... at the moment.

    Shame.
    Does this mean you do not agree with the junk spewed by nut jobs, but more importantly, you do not support their right to say it?

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •