Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: LGBT rights in the USA today...

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    We need to focus on the issues we can and keep the pressure on our reps. Send money, send letters, send email, demonstrate, comfort panicky friends, and hope that this appalling situation will be resolved before the harm it causes becomes irrevocable.
    Jane, I'm looking into protesting with other 85006er's this evening in Phoenix in regards to the pardon. It's a start....now I truly feel awful that I skipped the protests when Trump was in town. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Yes the article was very good. Today did you see guidance came out about transgender military ban? Just before the racist Arpaio was pardoned.

So so much for unifying the country. Liar.
    Your last two sentences give me hope. Thank You, Flowerseverywhere (and I still love your screen name, btw) Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    We need to focus on the issues we can and keep the pressure on our reps. Send money, send letters, send email, demonstrate, comfort panicky friends, and hope that this appalling situation will be resolved before the harm it causes becomes irrevocable.
    Nicely said.

I fear, however, that the emotional harm this sort of stunt causes isn't easily fixable.

Me, I don't care personally. I have age, experience, resources, and "privilege" to pile upon privilege. Anti LGBTQ stuff isn't going to directly impact my life much, I can ignore it and insulate myself from it easily enough (unless perhaps I wish to live in one of those problematic zip codes in the orginal NYTimes article in this thread.). But the situation isn't the same for someone in a less-advantaged position, who may be vulnerable on many fronts to this nonsense.

I love your suggestion to comfort panicky folks.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I came across a nice article in the NY Times today, with some decent charts/maps:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...to-be-gay.html

"...allowing child welfare groups to refuse adoptions that contradict their “ 'sincerely held religious beliefs' "... seems like the right thing to do.

My gay friendly city passed legislation that could force the Catholic Church to hire pro-abortion counselors. That is stupid, and it over reaches. While that has nothing to do with LGBTetc
    rights, it is an issue of the right ot carry out sincerely held ideals.

The Westboro Baptist Church idiots are here, just down the street, protesting LGBTetc night at the Cardinals' game. I do not consider their ideas to be "sincerely held" and
    I think their day is over, but no doubt some liberal fools will get all lathered up about the presence here of Westboro.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    "...allowing child welfare groups to refuse adoptions that contradict their “ 'sincerely held religious beliefs'
    Catholic Charities could have continued discriminating in their adoption policies, but they would have had to give up state funding, so they pulled the plug on adoptions. Over the years they have repeatedly tried to get government support for vouchers for their schools, or bus transportation, or adoptions, or their hospitals, among other things.

There should be a strong wall between church and state, and if you don't want to play by the government's rules don't expect their funding. If they're so strong in their beliefs they should put their money where their mouth is.

And if they really care about children instead of fighting their placement in happy homes they should deal with pedophile priests.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Catholic Charities could have continued discriminating in their adoption policies, but they would have had to give up state funding, so they pulled the plug on adoptions. Over the years they have repeatedly tried to get government support for vouchers for their schools, or bus transportation, or adoptions, or their hospitals, among other things.

There should be a strong wall between church and state, and if you don't want to play by the government's rules don't expect their funding. If they're so strong in their beliefs they should put their money where their mouth is.

And if they really care about children instead of fighting their placement in happy homes they should deal with pedophile priests.
    Haha yes to this dealing with priest pedophiles.

But if you think that " the government's rules" are always benign,
    I have a bridge to sell you. As Nanny G lumbers into the world of social engineering making rules and regulations right and left, Nanny screws things up. Or CAN screw it up.* Nanny may not know any better than those guided by the word of God.

I agree that a line between church and state is a good thing, but here, the state is dictating what the Church must do in continuing to do churchy type things where philosophy and idealogy reign. It is not as though the state has cornered All That Is
    Correct. far from it.

I also happen to believe that gender is important, that both mothers and fathers in a home are important. That doesn't mean that every child must have a female and a male parent, and there are cases where kids who identify as gay would probably do better in a gay parented household But to ignore gender of parents out of a sense of the rightS of parents --it is wrong. Placement of a child for adoption is about what is right for the child. This emphasizes the wrong side of the equation.

It is fine with me if gubmnt agencies place children in homes of same gender parents. I dont think it is ideal in all situations and is even wrong for some kids, but the gubmnt is the gubmnt and their human services can be 2nd rate. It is too bad for kids who end up in their hands.

* the federal government was instrumental in promoting housing segregation by dictating loan rules that explicitly kept black people out of whte neighborhoods. The government did not want races to mix.

http://www.npr.org/2017/05/17/528822...ed-segregation
    Last edited by iris lilies; 8-26-17 at 8:53am.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post

not only do I agree I also fear for any public money going to further religious causes. Some religions teach the women is subservient to men, arranged marriages, polygamy and so on. Believe in whatever god you want to. Don't fund these beliefs with taxpayer dollars by giving vouchers to pay for schooling. Because where does I stop. Will radical Muslim schools be funded? Schools that support gay conversion? Roman Catholic schools that for years not only shielded priests but routinely sent them to a new set of victims when they were found out?

We are on on a slippery slope

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I did see the "guidance" - it's mentioned in my second post above.

I didn't see the pardon today. Wow. That's...quite a mistake on his part:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/24/o...f.html?mcubz=3
    i missed the second article I was so distracted by the liar in chief with the rainbow flag.

And all the while I am hearing that the lower courts are being filled with very conservative judges. The racist, anti-gay, anti-woman agenda will continue for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Your last two sentences give me hope. Thank You, Flowerseverywhere (and I still love your screen name, btw) Rob
    despite the fact that every day lies come out of his mouth, I am amazed that people all across this nation think that he is doing great. Protests, letter writing and all are fine, but what can citizens who value freedom and equality do? I joined a local democratic club and while big on rage, solutions are a little thin.

and by the way, my yard is a jungle of flowers. No matter how sad I am I can see little buzzy stuff pollinating and flying around. It grounds me.

Thread Information