Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Now for this I will protest.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    What does "done with the person" mean? The appeals process? Some sort of ritual humiliation?
    In this case I mean that Trump swooped in and pardoned before Arpaio faced sentencing for his crime - the criminal justice system had not completely finished with this case just yet. Rob

PS I also find US Citizenship even less viable for the long term if this pardon is allowed to stand as that tells me that whoever is President can circumvent the criminal justice process before it's even through with an individual going through it. Very scary third world dictator kind of stuff and I believe myself and those close to me and those I care about in the 85006 deserve much better. No budging on this human rights stance.......Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    In this case I mean that Trump swooped in and pardoned before Arpaio faced sentencing for his crime - the criminal justice system had not completely finished with this case just yet. Rob

PS I also find US Citizenship even less viable for the long term if this pardon is allowed to stand as that tells me that whoever is President can circumvent the criminal justice process before it's even through with an individual going through it. Very scary third world dictator kind of stuff and I believe myself and those close to me and those I care about in the 85006 deserve much better. No budging on this human rights stance.......Rob
    Apart from a bit of spectacle for your enjoyment, what would that have accomplished?

I also find US Citizenship even less viable for the long term if this pardon is allowed to stand as that tells me that whoever is President can circumvent the criminal justice process before it's even through with an individual going through it.
    I think you just need a little perspective, this sort of thing happens more often than you might realize. On President Clinton's last day in office he pardoned 140 people, one of which had been indicted but had fled to Switzerland to avoid prosecution and 16 members of a terrorist organization which had engineered over 120 bombings in the US. I don't recall you being upset about that.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I didn't say that the pardon was illegal per se - it's a new one as to date no President that I am aware of has stepped in to pardon someone before the criminal justice system was done with the person as was the case with the Arpaio pardon. Rob

Ever hear of Richard Nixon? (the Justice system wasn't done with him, and presidential pardons are part of the "system")

I didn't say that the pardon was illegal per se - it's a new one as to date no President that I am aware of has stepped in to pardon someone before the criminal justice system was done with the person as was the case with the Arpaio pardon.
    You need to expand your awareness.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Apart from a bit of spectacle for your enjoyment, what would that have accomplished?
    https://www.google.com/amp/amp.natio...sary-impulsive

We've entered strange times when even the national review agrees with rob...

Per ksl.com, the officer involved in the Salt Lake City, UT incident has been placed on leave as the video of the incident spreads. It is not said if the leave is paid or unpaid and at this point if it is paid - OMG! Talk about bad PR causing a powder keg situation!!! At any rate, at least at the moment this officer has been sidelined to where he can't cause harm - at least not behind a badge at the moment. Now it is for the court of public opinion to cause tourism/revenue loss to the Salt Lake City area so that area officials are forced to knuckle under and abide by the rule of the law and treat this cop the way he legally and so richly deserves. I'm doing my bit as are others in the 85006......Rob

Per ksl.com, the officer involved in the Salt Lake City, UT incident has been placed on leave as the video of the incident spreads. It is not said if the leave is paid or unpaid and at this point if it is paid - OMG! Talk about bad PR causing a powder keg situation!!
    There are often due process steps required before you can hang someone, or even place them on leave without pay. And often union contracts as well.

Now it is for the court of public opinion to cause tourism/revenue loss to the Salt Lake City area so that area officials are forced to knuckle under and abide by the rule of the law and treat this cop the way he legally and so richly deserves.
    Yes, let's punish the entire area for the actions of one man.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    There are often due process steps required before you can hang someone, or even place them on leave without pay. And often union contracts as well.

Yes, let's punish the entire area for the actions of one man.
    Bae, I see your point and I understand too that you have a valid point here. That said, however, the country you believe in unfortunately has sunk to the point where this is the course of action that is necessary for the rule of law to be applied/administered/upheld. I don't like this but I'm not someone who ducks and runs from ugly truths.....and this truth IS VERY UGLY. So it is - and so are so such actions necessary. Unfortunate, granted, but necessary, especially if there are to be no further victims of the Salt Lake City PD any time soon. Call it the American Way or the New Normal. Rob
    Last edited by gimmethesimplelife; 9-1-17 at 9:26pm.

I wonder which these excuses the cop will use to justify his actions.

"If she had just complied none of this would have happened ".
    "This drugged out thug nurse had no respect for the law"
    "She was breathing in an aggressive manner"
    "She probably comes from a broken family"
    "Let all the facts come out, before we go jumping to conclusions".
    "Police officers have a hard job "
    "Of course she is going to want a police officer around if a crime is being commited though ".

Of all the cases of questionable police actions this one seems pretty clear cut. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out.

Thread Information