Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Give It a 100 Challenge - September

Give It a 100 Challenge - September

Hi All,

On Facebook today, somebody shared this old video of a woman who went to the gym 100 times which George Takei had posted along with the question, "What would you like to do 100 times?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5FkshLcNLQ

Her video was part of a larger movement online called "Give it 100" which, as far as I can tell, is now defunct.

I really related to the way the woman felt at the beginning of the video - like that her friends had made some positive changes in their lives and that she was happy for them, but that she felt a little "stuck" in her own. Committing to working out 100 times helped her get unstuck, and I asked myself, "What could I do 100 times that might help me feel less stuck?" And my answer was getting back to some short story writing, which is a dream I've let fall by the wayside a million times.

So today I'm committing to working on my short stories for at least 30 minutes 100 times between now and January 15, 2018. I hope I reach my deadline before then, but I'm trying to be realistic. My work gets incredibly busy between mid-October and mid-December, and I've already committed to a family vacation for eight days between Christmas and New Year's, so I need to consider all that.

Anybody want to join in? As you can see, I'm hoping to start a monthly thread on this and am starting the September one a tiny bit early.

Anybody want to set a goal of doing something 100 times?

Yppej
    I will drink 100 glasses of water. One of my resolutions for 2017 was to drink 3 a day but I haven't done it.

I want to do this. Don't they say if you do something 30 times it becomes a habit? So, I'm trying to the of a new, simple habit that will help me toward one of the goals I'm working on. Something that I could do even on Wednesdays when I will be tired, gone most of the day, and home late all fall.

- ok, I thought it over. I am going to go to bed every night with a clean* kitchen.

if I manage it every night I will hit 100 December 4th. Thanksgiving will happen.

this is going to involve a lot of changes - not leaving work out on the table, putting the groceries away when I get home, keeping up with dishes, taking the compost out every day....

since I have extra time and energy this morning, I'm going to start by getting it clean so tonight will only be one day of maintainence.

*i give myself a pass to leave dishes drying in the drainer or rinsed and ready to load on the counter if the dishwasher is running, or not wash dh glass if he has a drink at bedtime, to soak something overnight, or to leave out work I will need in the morning.
    Last edited by Chicken lady; 8-27-17 at 9:15am.

Yay! Glad to have company!

I didn't make it. The dishes are good. And It is better. Much, much better. But not clean.

the collection of dying plants is still on the counter. The box of papers and random stuff is still on the kitchen stool. There is a half filled bowl of compost by the sink. My purse is hanging from a kitchen chair.

and I am too tired. I will start tomorrow.

Chicken Lady,

I'm not assuming that what I do 100 times will be done 100 consecutive times. I'm hoping to start tomorrow, but in aiming for a January 15 deadline, I'm expecting there to be days I don't write - in fact, many of them. So whenever you start, if you miss a day, I hope you'll just get back to it the next time you can. 100 times is a 100 times. Period.

Oh, I will, but missing the first day is not starting. I kind of wish I had at least done the compost last night. My kitchen smells like wilted cilantro. I don't even like fresh cilantro. (Dh put it on his food last night)

I started today. 30 minutes of writing this morning on a busy day. Boom.

I am calling today starting.

the compost is not empty, but I emptied it today, and it has an orange peel in it. An orange peel is nice. Dh removed the entire kitchen table (it is now in the addition), and I have not dealt with the plants, but I did deal with the stuff, the box of papers, and my purse. And I am caught up on dishes. So I am going to count any day like this that only has the plants or that has fewer plants as done.

That's great, Chicken Lady. I'm all for realistic goals and being gentle with ourselves.

Thread Information