Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Give It a 100 Challenge - September

Well, yes and no, when I started, I expected myself to clean off the little kitchen table every night. That table was used for eating, food prep, school planning, and general stashing of mail and papers. Now that table is in a "bedroom" and is only used for school planning and general stashing of papers and I no longer clean it off every night so that part of disassembling the old kitchen reduced my work load.

The new new breakfast nook table is used only for eating and reading or doing crossword puzzles online. Even if I do some paperwork there, it is simple to toss it onto my "new desk" before bed.

We generate the same number of dirty dishes, and having more counter surface to wipe off is not a big deal. Last night dh wiped down the stove top (tomato sauce). He never does that - but I had already put the food away and removed all the dirty dishes to the scullery, and the rest of the surfaces looked so nice it jumped out at him and he cleaned it.

Geila
    Ack! Today I feel the SAD creeping in: desire to sleep for a looong time, craving for carbs, and a general feeling of low drive.

I'm having coffee to help me gain some energy and I have a bagel defrosting on the counter. 58 carbs in a single bagel. Ouch. But it feels like eating carbs will be the only way to get enough energy to get me out of sleep mode. So the battle has begun. So dramatic!

I did complete day 7 of low-carb yesterday. I wonder if I will need to adjust what low-carb means in terms of SAD season. It might be that moderate is as low as I can get. I'll have to play around with it a bit and see what is sustainable.

I don't feel bad, really, in fact I feel pretty good. I just feel like I want to go into hibernation and sleep all the time. And if I'm sleeping, I won't have the urge to eat carbs! But if I want to have any semblance of a normal life, I need to find a way to increase my energy. I'm already feeling better after having some coffee. Wouldn't it be great if that is all it took?!

(thanks for providing a place to vent. it does helps.)

I also have an eye infection that I've been fighting for a few days. I don't know if that is exacerbating the situation.

And - congrats to everyone on your continued success!!! It's nice to have this feeling of shared accomplishment to touch base with.

Hi Geila,

I totally support you adjusting your goals however you need to. It's a process, and we can tinker!

Re: fatigue. I've had some success this year with Vitamin D supplements. Have you ever tried those?

I agree with the tweaking business. After all, the goal is to progress and if our stated goals are causing distress, not challenge, discouragement, not a sense of achievement we need to accept that. Vitamin D helps me with winter blues. I didn't know how much until one Feb. I stopped taking it...went back on pretty quickly. Day 13 over 6000.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    EJ, That's great. Are you pleased with what has been written? Or does that come later?
    Here for motivation as I face Day 30!

One thing I've been able to accomplish so far while working on this goal was to put the finishing touches on a short story I started something like 8-9 years ago (before my six-year-old daughter was born!). I did some revisions on it, brought it to a writing workshop, made a few more revisions on it based on what the other students and the teacher said, and now am submitting it to literary journals. I hadn't submitted anything to a journal in over five years, so that feels like a really big deal.

Generally speaking, it is hard to get a story accepted in those journals - in the past, I've had to submit to 50 or so places before I got an acceptance! So my usual strategy is to submit to about ten places at once (letting them know my story is a "simultaneous submission") and then keep re-submitting as I get rejections. It usually takes a year or two of this before a story is "placed," but it's still nice to see a story in print. We'll see what happens this time.

Now I'm working on a new story. A first draft is always grueling. I think of it like the work of breaking up the soil in a garden before you can plant seeds. I just have to let myself flail around and make a mess before I can figure out what exactly I'm doing. But it's exciting anyway to be working on something new.

None of this would be happening without the support of this group. Thanks to all of you so much for being out there working on 100 times of something with me!

Nswef: Congrats on Day 13!

Sounds like great progress on the writing.

Nswef, that adds up to a lot of steps! Imagine how far you gave walked!

Geila, keep adjusting SAD is rough.

last night was 26.

Geila
    Guys, I did NOT eat the bagel! I stayed on here posting away until the craving subsided. Day 8 completed!

But I'm bringing caffeine back in to help with the energy situation. I'm on my second cup of coffee. It will probably end up being too much caffeine, but I'll deal with that if it happens.

I've tried Vit D before but my stomach doesn't do well with it. Vit B12 does help though, so I make sure to eat foods high in that. My computer is now located in a south facing room with a window right in front of it and that has been nice too.

Everyone is doing so well on this challenge. Thanks for starting it EJ!!!

Loved the video!!!!

I'm thinking in giving it a 100 to my meditation practice, starting next week, once I'm all settle in my new place!

One thing that has kept me going through some other things, like fixing my financial situation, is NOT to seek Perfection.....I keep trying to remind myself that it does not need to be perfect

Perfection can kill your spirit. Good enough is pretty good! EJ I'm so impressed that you have a polished piece and have submitted it! Bravo! day 26 on the kitchen, CL is fantastic. No bagel Geila and south facing window- two big steps for sure. Kalu- you might check Zoe Girl,she's done lots of meditation. May I suggest Gratefulness.org as a place to start meditating. I'm pretty sure someone on this board recommended it.

Thread Information