Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I thought I was doing well

I thought I was doing well

For years my husband and I have always thought of ourselves as somewhat minimalistic. We use 99% of what we own, or so I believed, and are consistantly doing a purge each year to ensure that those things we do not use get donated. That is until we put our home on the market and actually had to start packing things up to move.

We did rid ourselves of 5 boxes full of things we do not use. Which suprised us. But even now as I pack what is left into boxes, I am feeling somewhat overwhelmed by the amount of things we still own. Granted I believe we use all of it but it still seems like so much.

Suggestions on how to manage the overwhelmed feelings are appreciated. I don't have the mental energy to deal with really thinking each item through right now as I box it up. More likely I will be doing a purge as I unpack and find a place for everything in our new (smaller) home. We will not have storage beyond a small shed which will need to house bikes, framing supplies, gardening tools, lawn mower, pots etc.. Closet space is limited as is cabinet space and we will not rent a storage unit.

Thanks for your consideration

I have nothing to add, but I share your feelings. Moving is always overwhelming.

I haven't moved in 22 years (and hope to never move again), but wanted to say Good for you for holding fast and not renting a storage unit. That would have been the easy thing, but in the long-term you'll be glad.

My only suggestion would be to take your time and handle it after the move, as you have time. No need to rush and you can both decide together so it won't all be on you.

We just moved from a 580 sq ft apartment to an 810 sq ft house. We own very little. And I still felt like it took forever to move and that we had all kinds of stuff tucked away in cupboards and closets ...

My friend just posted 60 plus photos of all the fall decor she set out this weekend....made me nervous to see all that stuff that is only out a few months. Feel better?

It amazes me how quickly we have accumulated new "stuff" since moving recently. I got rid of so much of but it is slowly growing again as we try to get resettled. Practical things I thought I no longer needed and have had to acquire. For example, an ironing board. I thought since I'm newly retired that I wouldn't need one anymore so I left it behind. But already, I have needed to iron things and trying to do it on a towel on a table doesn't work so well. All this stuff bothers me too but I figure that worrying about it anymore is a waste of time. It just is the way it is...

That is one thing I do not have...seasonal decorations. Even my Christmas decor fits all in one box and we just do a simple table top tree decorated with pine cones and holly berry sprigs and a small nativity. Along with a very basic snowflake throw and a wreath on the door.

It sounds like you are on the right track--as you unpack, since you won't have much storage, you'll find space for the things you know you truly need and want. The rest, as it sits in a box for an extra day or so, will be free to go elsewhere, and you'll help it get there. Moving is always a wonderful way to weed out the things that no longer suit us.

I have 1 suggestion....you can sort while packing.

1. Labeled box for each room-must keeps.
    2. Labeled boxes-unsure.
    3. Labeled boxes-doubt I'll miss it.

After you move:

1. Unpack #1s.
    2. After you are all settled, open #2s one at a time and decide keep or go.
    3. After 1 year take all#3s not opened to goodwill unopened. (you likely don't need it if you didn't open it looking for X item).

Its a moving version of purging!

Sounds like you are doing well! Just imagine if you hadn't been doing what you've been! So congrats and I like the idea Gardnr posted about sorting as you pack and un-pack. Good luck!

I hope to move within the next 3-5 years, but I'm very nervous. We have lived in this house for over 27 years so far. I've been decluttering and actually feel like I've made some headway, but then I read threads about actually packing things up and I know I have so much more to do. Sigh.... lol.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information