Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: side job frustration

side job frustration

So I have a few reasons to think about side work, mostly I want to pay off the g-d student loans, but also get some money for retreats and retirement. Here is the thing, I have spent a lot of time and resources so that side job thing is not just Target cashier. However it is just not coming together with only weekends. I am an official instructor with an organization that teaches mindfulness in the school. Right now the climate of our department is not great to ask to take some time in the middle of the day and do that. They don't have anything on the weekends I can do.

I also did training to be a professional mediator, I have about 50 volunteer hours and really need to be at 100 to put myself out there independently.

Then I am a fabulous open-form crochet person, kid craft teacher, etc. I looked at doing a teaching proposal for the local Colorado Free University but the deadline had passed for spring classes. So the next time I could put a proposal in would be for summer programming.

Just a little bummed, when I think about doing something extra I get really excited and happy about teaching and working with kids directly. That would make it worth it in several ways.

If you do before and after school care, why are you expected to hang around in the middle of the day? Is there that much administration work?

You getting a second job?

Bad idealert!

Yeah, keep the job you're in and go back to school for something you don't like.

(yes, UL, that is meant as snark toward you. Not intended to be mean though, just trying to make you think about giving career/life advice to someone who has completely different goals, interests, and personality, and how your tone may be coming across.)

my suggestion would be to look for opportunities to work directly with kids on weekends. (Maybe you have done this) in some situation that puts the administrative pressure on someone else so that it will tax and feed different parts of you. Also, you need to decide if you are serious about marketing your crochet. If you are, you have to invest the time and energy to get it off the ground. You can't just putter at it and hope something happens. I am learning this with pottery. The maker fair is a great start!

i would discourage and additional training, especially if it costs money, in any area that you do not have a clear, solid, and enticing path to profit. (Example - my dil just got her sped certification - AFTER subbing in a sped program she loved and being offered a full time position IF she got the certification.)

We have work to do of course and meetings scheduled in advance, but i should be able to flex my days. I did negotiate many years ago for a meeting free day once a week so we can plan things for our lives. That has actually stayed in over the years. This year the official word is that our hours are 9:30 to 6. My program starts at 6:30 am. So who knows, they kinda own us the full 60 a week our program is in session. I am feeling a rough year and could use practice with my other skills if i want to make a transition to another job or field.

UA, what exactly is a good idea in your opinion. And why do you read my posts?

Thank you chicken, i did learn about getting more training the hard way. I researched mediation before i did the training, talked to someone who was interested in hiring me even, found a good place to trai , etc. In the end he didn't want someone who was doing it as a 2nd job. I got volunteer hours in by sheer force of will and discovered my camera stage fright. Still haven't been able to use it at all. I really thought i had checked it all out before investing.

I agree with the maker fair, a good step with crochet. I am wondering if there is a place to teach that does not need 5 months advance planning. I have a small apartment with cats so it won't work here.

I would work toward getting in another 50 hours of mediation experience, as long as you're this far in.

It probably pays better than teaching crochet, and you can always do that here and there.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I would work toward getting in another 50 hours of mediation experience, as long as you're this far in.

It probably pays better than teaching crochet, and you can always do that here and there.
    I think this is great advice!

Yes, if i am thinking money (with something i like) then mediation is key. I am thinking about joining the mediator group for $35 a year and find people who want a volunteer co- mediator until i hit 50 more hours. Hard to volunteer yet again. Seems the expectation in many ways.

you are thinking of getting a second job in one post and complaining about lack of a social life in another post. I do have to wonder if there is a lack of understanding of real time and energy limits and trade offs here.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information