Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: side job frustration

Yes, Apathetic. One thing is that I don't have money to do a lot of things. So it is a 'hard to win' situation. However time off putting everything into one job is a step forward to me. Possibly a better income with more flexible time in the long run.

Perhaps the mediation group will provide you with some social activities.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Perhaps the mediation group will provide you with some social activities.
    Oh yeah, that is another good thing. I hadn't really thought of that. I am going to look at the website to see what they have going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Girl View Post
    find people who want a volunteer co- mediator until i hit 50 more hours. Hard to volunteer yet again. Seems the expectation in many ways.
    The volunteer-until-you-make-it part sounds very much like what most creatives endure: seemingly endless requests to work for free to "build your portfolio/resume/reel/whatever". My general rule in considering such requests was whether the opportunity would teach me something I could be paid for in the future. In this case, ZG, if it truly will take only 50 hours to get you where you want to be in mediation, it might be worth picking your spots as much as you can so that when you "arrive" at mediating alone you have a well-rounded background and not just the same essential experience a dozen times. It is an investment (the price being your free time) but if it's where you want to be...
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I have co mediated once between sisters and a dreadlock vs wedding issue, one post divorce financial one, 2 rental -landlord issues and 2 school based truancy mediations.i was hoping to have a varietyof of contacts and specialize in educational issues. It really helps to know about the education system and laws

Sounds like maybe you could do several things. If sheer dollars are your goal, look at fast food close to your school. Not sure about your area, of course, but here they pay premium wages for 2.5 hour "lunch shift". i.e. 5 hours pay, which amounts to about $60/day. They only hire people who can articulate a financial goal- I want to pay off my student loans / car- point is, they want someone super motivated to show up 3 to 5 days a week during the time the teenagers are supposed to be still in school, to cover the lunch business.

Another idea is to do something FUN with kids. Is there something you can offer as "birthday party" fun? That can be very lucrative...I know some one who went from home day care to birthday parties, and gets an average of $600/party. She provides the activity, supervision, party favors and decorations. Food and/or cake is extra, (which she does about half the time); parent secures venue. She is averaging 6 parties a week. "I'm making way more money, I have my house for my own family, I have time to myself, and I'm enjoying it, I love shopping for party supplies!" She recently reported.

i guess my point is to think way outside of the box-- but be sure whatever you are doing is yielding a high return for your time and energy.

Thread Information