Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Flood in Texas

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    CathyA....your spirit of caring is appreciated and I can tell genuine.

My son, his wife and their dog were plucked from their home by volunteer rescuers who left the safety of their homes to save perfect strangers. They road in a boat to a grocery store where the National Guard has dump trucks staged. They rode in a dump truck to the nearest shelter. His wife's employer took them in until they can travel safely to be with the sister in law.

When the water recedes and Harvey is satisfied with its destruction, they will go back, demolition the house and pray for resources enough to repair the bones of their home. I saw video of them being rescued. They looked like drowned rats but I could see that there was a spark in their eye that will be used to ignite a new chapter in their lives. They are newlyweds. The dog they have they rescued themselves. It will be difficult and I have pledged them all my resources which includes all my savings. Such a disaster.
    wonderful news they are safe. I cannot imagine the relief you feel.

they are very lucky to have you. Imagine all the people who don't have anyone with resources to help them, or who,have lost their homes, cars, jobs. Heartbreaking

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Flood insurance is a Federal government program. You and I subsidize it with our taxes. There's no way a private insurance company would take the risk.
    i have flood insurance. We live in Florida 60 feet above sea level. There is an extensive system of ponds and pumps to keep this area flood free. But we all know drains can get clogged with debris, pumps can fail. This morning I was talking to a group of my neighbors. Not one has flood insurance because it is not required. I gladly pay $450 a year extra for peace of mind. In almost 40 years of home ownership we have never had a claim. But like health insurance I am more than happy to put in my share so if something happens I will get help.
    The crazy thing is every single one of them could afford to pay it, as they frequently eat out, most drink alcohol. We are not struggling young people.

One of of my friends was a weatherman. He said there was a similar disasterous flood in the thirties right in this area. Of course since then there has been a ton of building of course making the situation impossible. But there is no way even the best planned and built community is going to escape damage when 30-50 inches of rain comes down.

Of interest will will be what happens when congress and the senate start to grapple with the huge assistance Texas will need in the midst of budget negotiations. I imagine things will get quite messy. But how can we not help people who did everything right, moved to get work, paid taxes and followed all advice and lost everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamsmith View Post
    CathyA....your spirit of caring is appreciated and I can tell genuine.

My son, his wife and their dog were plucked from their home by volunteer rescuers who left the safety of their homes to save perfect strangers. They road in a boat to a grocery store where the National Guard has dump trucks staged. They rode in a dump truck to the nearest shelter. His wife's employer took them in until they can travel safely to be with the sister in law.

When the water recedes and Harvey is satisfied with its destruction, they will go back, demolition the house and pray for resources enough to repair the bones of their home. I saw video of them being rescued. They looked like drowned rats but I could see that there was a spark in their eye that will be used to ignite a new chapter in their lives. They are newlyweds. The dog they have they rescued themselves. It will be difficult and I have pledged them all my resources which includes all my savings. Such a disaster.
    Williamsmith, We live just outside Richmond, TX. I am so glad your son and his wife were rescued!! We are still in our house and have had no water in the house so far. We were without electricity for about 20 hours but the heroic linemen restored our power. We are more or less marooned as the roads are treacherous. The next ordeal will be the cresting of the Brazos River at 57.5 feet early on Thursday. So very many people are in subdivisions protected by levees and many of those levees were not designed for that high. We are not in an evacuation zone but are very close. I hope your son and DIL remain safe. This is one godawful mess down here.

Williamsmith
    I am very proud of these kids. I gave my son a copy of Dave Ramsey's "The Total Money Makeover." They both recently got out of college and each had a car for work. They paid off all their college debt and both car loans before they got married. The only debt they have is the house. I think that might just be the buffer they need to pull themselves up and out of this mess. They are trying to find a rental car today. I am prepared to drive my truck down there and leave it with them and fly home but things have to dry up first.

Williamsmith
    Quote Originally Posted by Florence View Post
    Williamsmith, We live just outside Richmond, TX. I am so glad your son and his wife were rescued!! We are still in our house and have had no water in the house so far. We were without electricity for about 20 hours but the heroic linemen restored our power. We are more or less marooned as the roads are treacherous. The next ordeal will be the cresting of the Brazos River at 57.5 feet early on Thursday. So very many people are in subdivisions protected by levees and many of those levees were not designed for that high. We are not in an evacuation zone but are very close. I hope your son and DIL remain safe. This is one godawful mess down here.
    Florence, my prayers are with you. I have been impressed thus far with the volunteerism and the dedication of emergency services and utilities. I believe Texans have something special in the caring department. If I find out names of people that helped my son I will be indebted to them and be forever grateful.

I am so sorry for this trial your family is going through, Williamsmith! Please keep us posted. It is really a tragedy. I have a good friend in Houston, and she's OK, but her DD had to evacuate.

Good to hear that Dave Ramsey was able to put your kids in a good financial position to weather storms (literally, in this case!) They are lucky to have your support. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Williamsmith.....So glad to hear your son, wife and puppy dog are safe! Such a disaster for so many people. I can't imagine having one of my children in harm's way and not be able to do anything. So grateful for their safety. Your son sounds like a wonderful, responsible person.

I've heard it said on the news that people who need rescuing themselves are helping rescue others. We see the best of the human spirit in times like these.
    Last edited by CathyA; 8-29-17 at 4:28pm.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    We see the best of the human spirit in times like these.
    Seems to me I recommend this delightful little book every time there is a disaster, so here's another shill for it:

I've heard it said on the news that people who need rescuing themselves are helping rescue others. We see the best of the human spirit in times like these.
    It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.... springs to mind.

When will people put 2+2 together and get 4?

More floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, droughts, fires.........When will people even begin to consider that it might just be related to how mankind lives?
    While waiting for word about a former co worker, who recently moved to Houston, after his parents retired and moved down to be closer to him (and then he moves)...

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Flood insurance is a Federal government program. You and I subsidize it with our taxes. There's no way a private insurance company would take the risk.
    They will only insure up to $250,000. Above that you would have to insure from a private company.

Thread Information