Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Seems like I got old all of a sudden.........

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So sorry CAthy to hear that you are feeling so bad. Golden: yes I have to get my pic taken to and there is a huge difference between 53 and 63. ...l.
    Cathy, am also hoping your doctors can get you some relief. If I was in your shoes I'd be open to anything, including medical marijuana. But do what you need to take care.

I am agreeing with Terry about the big noticeable physical change in the late 50s/early 60s, and I believe that menopause is the biggest driver for that for women. it seemed like my skin got dry overnight (the dreaded crepey look), more facial wrinkles appeared, the "menopot" belly, eyelid droop, etc. I was another one who looked years younger for most of my life, and then poof, I was getting asked if I wanted the senior discount.. Not a big deal, but certainly takes a little time to accept that reality.
    But no complaints because I am otherwise healthy, no chronic issues, no prescription meds. And I know for a retiree that I'm in the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I was another one who looked years younger for most of my life, and then poof, I was getting asked if I wanted the senior discount.. Not a big deal, but certainly takes a little time to accept that reality.
    But no complaints because I am otherwise healthy, no chronic issues, no prescription meds. And I know for a retiree that I'm in the minority.
    Yup... I was examining a receipt for coffee at Dunkin Donuts and noticed that they automatically gave me the senior discount. Oh, and then a couple of weeks ago the guy game to take my BILs POD and when he was shutting the door he noticed the steamer trunks with the old port of call labels on them, like Liverpool, New York, etc. And he asked me, "Are these all the places you've been?"

I guess he thought I predated commercial airline travel. No, sir, I am not a Titanic survivor.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

For a long time I looked a lot younger then I was. My oldest son and I are 19 years apart and for years when we would go places people thought I was his sister. Well that ship has long sailed. Having lost 3 friends in their 50's and 60's I have adjusted and at this point I am just happy to still be alive.

When I was in my early 20's, I looked younger than I was. Then something happened. haha
    I remember being in Kohl's once when I was 43 and she asked if I qualified for the senior discount. WHAT?? I told her I was only 43, but thought she should still give me the discount because of the "insult". haha And she gave it to me!

My hair turned gray pretty early. When I had my DD, I was 37 and when I was grocery shopping with her when she was 1, the produce kid asked her if she was having fun with grandma. I said I was her mother. I could hear women behind me snickering, as he tried to back-pedal. hahaha

DD is now 30 and has many gray strands in her dark hair. She has very knocked knees and pronated feet (like me).....which makes me nervous for her as she gets older. But maybe knee replacement will be a lot easier in 40 years..........

Actually, I think I was born with some defect. I was wearing custom orthotics in my teens and developed arthritis in my hands in my early 40s. It's all sorta weird to have so many problems, yet have made it to almost 68. But I would rather have quality than quantity.

Yppej....I'll have to read up on the synthetic cartilage. I've heard that Chicago is doing stem cell cartilage rejuvenation, so I'm hoping something like that takes off soon. They use one's own stem cells to grow the cartilage. I just don't understand why they can't just somehow replace the cartilage, rather than cut part of your femur and tibia off, replace it with metal posts, ends and screws and give you a plastic kneecap. I've heard the life of those are about 10 years, and some people continue to always have pain. Plus, before any dental work after that, you have to take antibiotics.........which always mess up my GI tract for awhile.

Medical marijuana is illegal in IN (and the oil stuff too). I'm always amazed (and envious) of older people who seem to take getting old all in stride. I just want to throw myself on the floor and scream and holler and cus. I would do that, but I'd never be able to get back up. Actually, I can handle all my bent fingers and toes and pain in my knee........it's just the constant pain everywhere that makes me really sad.

All this might be just a huge flare of my fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis..........but it still hurts and I wish it would un-flare soon.
    My brother is 2 years old than me and he moved out west in a huge R.V. and spends all his time hiking up mountains and riding his bike. Not fair. (And he was a drug addict in his earlier life). I guess I should have been too.....maybe that would have helped.

Thread Information