Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Seems like I got old all of a sudden.........

I think about this every now and then. When will I really feel "old"? I will be 66 in October, and still don't think of myself as old. I am fortunate to have good health and I know that goes a long way in staving of the feeling of "old", but I also know that could change in a heartbeat. After my DH passed, I quit coloring my hair and so now I have gray (silverish) hair among the dark and I really like it. But, the skin - that is another question. Sometimes I look down at my arms and I see my grandmother's arms. That is a shock. I think in some ways I feel more vunerable too, such as if I fall will I break something that could be major? Being alone with no family, I can't help but sometimes have concern as to "what is going to happen to me?", in what 10 more years? 15? It's all a big mystery in front of us, we just have to take care of ourselves and be adaptable I guess. Interesting thread CathyA.
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

61 yrs old here. No thinning hair but dark hairs showing up on my upper lip and chin. I pluck for awhile and then get disgusted.
    I use hair removal cream on those areas with good success. My main problem is the weight gain, aches and pains.
    One Aleve makes a difference but then we keep reading it is not good to keep taking everyday,

The crepe-y skin is horrifying to me. If I'd known when I was way younger how this would feel/look, I would not have baked my lithe body in the sun for a short-lived suntan.
    That and the neck---ugh. I always think of that book, "I feel bad about my neck," by Nor Ephron.

Physically, I have few complaints. I have good genes there. My eyes are going bad, but whatever. I have floaters that make me a bit nuts.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I think the aging thing is probably very gradual but there are definitely accelerated time frames when changes seem as if they happen overnight. I noticed right away that the older women here in high, dry country have skin like leather and look ten years older than they are. No humidity and the baking sun. I think it's sad that our culture shapes us into feeling bad about what should be a celebrated passage into our acquired wisdom and experience.

I haven't gone to the doctor in ten or fifteen years. This year I turned 50. My company started a wellness program. I new I had a umbilical hernia. So I had a physical, a surgery and healed up. Once I healed, I started biking to work and working out. I changed my diet at the beginning of the year because of the stupid wellness program. So far I've lost 17 lbs and I must say, I feel pretty darn good for a 50 year old. Work on nutrition and keep moving. My mother-in-law is going on 80 and she takes 20 mile bike rides.

I am 63 and my skin is getting thin on my arms and wrinkly. My hair is still super thick thankfully. I have the wrinkles on each side of my mouth. I have various aches and pains but less then I used to since I lost 40lbs. But it beats the alternative)

We were just talking about this. We noticed that when we get together with friends an inordinate amount of time is spent talking about age related physical problems. I know I'm 61 but my mind is still in my 30's or 40's. I know I'm probably looked at as elderly but I don't feel it and I don't think it. When I get around people of a similar age that do it creeps me out. I'm so peeved that it has come on so quickly. I remember when I could go to the gym if the weight had crept up and get it worked out pretty quickly. Now I'm walking 6 miles a day and doing water aerobics and yoga and it still continues to climb. WTH???? Then, horror upon horrors.... usually we hit it pretty hard in the morning, have lunch and then chill for a bit to recharge for what ever the afternoon brings. My DH started turning the TV to Judge Judy while we checked in on our computers. I suddenly realized.... I'm watching Judge Judy... during the afternoon. I have turned into my mother!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    I suddenly realized.... I'm watching Judge Judy... during the afternoon. I have turned into my mother!!!!!
    Hahhahahaha!!!!! That is funny!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

I'm feeling like the young nurses treat me like their mother. In a good way. And they are younger than my kids. But it took a few years to adjust to being treated like I'm older.

But really, it's a good change. They don't want me to lift heavy things anymore. And they listen more carefully to my guidance.

I don't mind being in my 50s. It's been a sort of a fun transition and I like this stage of life.

Simplemind, I feel much like you---younger than my body/face portrays me. I got really annoyed last year when i was talking to DD about her and SIL's wills. I was staying at their house for 10 days with the grandkids while they went on a couple's vacation. I was remarking about what if something happened to them, what do the wills say about the kids. She informed me that they have written that her best friend (who already has 5 kids) will take them. WHAT?? She said, "well Mom, you are getting up there..."

I'm not too "up there" to watch them for 10 days or take the 15 yr old hiking and camping, etc. Grrr-rrr. I do not like being labeled above all. ETA: I am 62.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

Thread Information