Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autumn

Yppej

Autumn

I love fall in New England - the crisp cool mornings for walking, the warm sunny afternoons. Do you do anything to celebrate or enjoy the season? Any rituals like apple picking? I am looking forward to September and October in particular.

It's going to be 100 today. Cannot fathom fall weather

I pick apples every year and make applesauce. Used to go with the kids so it was an event. Now it's just me getting apples.

the equinox is coming up soon!

Twas a chilly and misty morn here in Columbus, OH.

I hold out hope that we're going to have a Fall. We've had one day of drizzle since sometime in June. It hasn't been unbearable, but I'm glad I don't live where the weather is the same all the time.

After a hot, humid summer I am looking forward to some cooler, less humid weather. We have had some drop in temps, but still Summer-ish like weather here. I love Fall, but dread what comes after!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

We had a windstorm for 20 minutes today with gusts up to 67mph. Trees and limbs down all over town. Power outages. Stoplights dead. Traffic snarl at rush hours.

Temp dropped 15 degrees-WIN at least there was 1 win!

We drive around and look for old abandoned apple trees and collect free apples. I also collect daylily pods to grow daylilies from seed.
    Oh, and we stop for cider and doughnuts at farmstands.

I change the spark plug and gas up the snowblower.

Oh, wait, you said "celebrate or enjoy" the season

Around here we get to leaf-peep. The riverboat company for which we have our pass cruises until October, which can be an excellent time to float down the Mississippi River looking at beautiful foliage on both banks.

We also get to open the bedroom window at nights and sleep with fresh air rather than conditioned air. There are local apples to eat (the University of Minnesota has created may popular nationally-known varieties of apples and we can get them right from nearby orchards). And I will admit to a certain joy in autumn rituals like putting up lily bulbs for the winter and preserving food grown in backyard gardens.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

In Phoenix, Fall means temps less than 100 degrees, plus getting a pumpkin latte at Starbucks. It's not official, and I know I'm pushing it, but it helps define end of summer for me.

Thread Information