Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Now for this I will protest.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Now for this I will protest.....

Just came home and found out that Trump pardoned Arpaio. I am beyond mortified and so ashamed. This time however, I don't care how dangerous or risky it is, or if I lose money that I could make working banquets....this is just wrong and I can't live with myself this time if I don't protest. There are a number of messages on my phone....once I am done with this post I will check my messages - probably some are in regards to protests over the pardon I am guessing. Count me in. I didn't marry a Mexican national for nothing - count me in!!! (or as Hillary Clinton said more than once: DEAL ME IN!) Rob

I'm sure you can't read this, but it sure doesn't take much to get you going. Also not sure what marrying a Mexican national has to do with anything.

Why haven't you moved to Mexico yet. I know you use your mother as a excuse, but Mexico is not that far. Wouldn't taking her with you be the thing to do.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    So how is the situation going? I have been reading a lot about Arpaio and his actions through the years.

One editorial i read said said it was setting a precedent for Trump to pardon his buddies, family and even himself.

Some of of the cases I read about include mentally ill people, and many dying in custody.

I know you use your mother as a excuse, but Mexico is not that far. Wouldn't taking her with you be the thing to do.
    it kind of depends on if she even wants to move to Mexico doesn't it? Because otherwise no, of course no.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    So how is the situation going? I have been reading a lot about Arpaio and his actions through the years.

One editorial i read said said it was setting a precedent for Trump to pardon his buddies, family and even himself.

Some of of the cases I read about include mentally ill people, and many dying in custody.
    One of his worst actions, IMO, is the failure to investigate sex assault crimes, including those against children, in a town in his jurisdiction. Instead, monies and labor were redirected to his continued arrests of undocumented immigrants for the sole crime of being here illegally. That is not a county sheriff's job, and despite being ordered by a federal judge to stop, he continued.
    $20 Million+ taxpayer dollars later, here we are.

He's 85 years old, and my understanding is his max term would have been 6 months in prison. One letter to the editor in today's paper said the silver lining is that "Granting and acceptance of a presidential pardon is an implied admission of guilt." (Burdick v. United States, 1915).
    So despite escaping incarceration, he cannot claim innocence.

I hope he's buried in civil suits.

He and his brutal squad of goons should have been stopped years ago, before they systematically terrorized thousands of people. And please don't call him "Sheriff Joe." That makes him sound like some kindly. avuncular figure from Mayberry. He was a vicious criminal with absolutely no regard for the rule of law or human life.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    That makes him sound like some kindly. avuncular figure from Mayberry. He was a vicious criminal with absolutely no regard for the rule of law or human life.
    The voters seemed to like Sheriff Joe. They kept him in office a lot of years. Was it a case of the feds refusing to control the border and the locals stepping in, however brutally? If he was a monster, he seems to have been a popular monster for quite a long time.

Read some Stephen King, we like a lot of monsters. He reminds me of the character in under the dome

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The voters seemed to like Sheriff Joe. They kept him in office a lot of years. Was it a case of the feds refusing to control the border and the locals stepping in, however brutally? If he was a monster, he seems to have been a popular monster for quite a long time.
    I guess oppression, rape, and systematic police brutality don't bother some people.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I guess oppression, rape, and systematic police brutality don't bother some people.
    At least a majority of Maricopa County voters. Is there that much fear (justified or unjustified) of illegals there that they applied the omelet theory of law enforcement for twenty-odd years?

Thread Information