Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eyeglass questions..........

Eyeglass questions..........

I've worn progressive lens glasses for a long time. Recently, I started feeling like I couldn't see out of them as well. I couldn't get in to my regular eye doc last year, and saw someone who told me I could actually forget about distance lenses and just buy some cheap reading glasses at a store. Well, I wasn't sure to trust that. So I waited and had another visit finally with my regular eye doc recently. He said the same thing! I guess my near-sightedness has gone away. I guess that happens sometimes as we age. Well, I know you need to see well in 3 areas.......close, middle and far. He told me it would save a lot of money to just buy those cheap reading glasses, and get a different strength for "medium" distances too. they may be cheaper than prescription glasses, but who wants to change their glasses all day long? And I don't feel like wearing those little reading glasses down low on my nose all day, looking like Mrs. Clause. And I don't want to wear them on a string around my neck. Plus, I like anti-reflective coating.
    So I guess I'll spend the money and have the top part of the glasses be just plain glass.

I have to mess around with so many things during the day, the last thing I want to do is be putting 2 different glasses on and off all day........looking for them, losing them, forgetting which strength I have on, etc., etc.

Yeah, new glasses are about $400+, but I think it would be well worth the hassle.

It's a little scary giving up my distance prescription.....even though it was 20/20 without them. Yes, I could see the line, but it was fuzzy. I guess you don't want to make the eye too lazy though, by making the lenses too strong.

Anyone else come up on this problem........only needing plain glass for distance, but more for middle and close stuff?

My sister is just experiencing this after cataract surgery on both eyes. It will never happen for me unless it is cataract surgery. They can not get my distance vision to 20/20- But no glaucoma or macular degeneration...just not seeing as well as I used to even though my prescription hasn't needed changing.

I don't know much about your specific prescription, however I agree with getting one pair of higher priced glasses. I was able to use contacts for about 2 years and then needed reading glasses. I went back to one pair with progressive lenses at that point, I think it is annoying and more likely to lose glasses when you don't wear them all the time. Not a big deal with cheap readers but an issue with more expensive ones. The biggest thing I miss about contacts is sunglasses, I need to get some prescription ones.

I worked with a woman once who wore her prescription glasses all day long. And then when she needed to see the computer she put a second pair of reading glasses on also, and looked through both pairs in order to see the computer screen. Somehow this worked best for her and saved her some money but she sure looked silly. 😄

I wonder what the evolutionary reason is for our eyes to gain far sight in old age?

To see the young people coming to put us on the ice flow?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I wonder what the evolutionary reason is for our eyes to gain far sight in old age?
    It's not so much gaining far sight as losing near sight. As we age, our eye lenses and muscles are less able to focus tightly (not necessarily closely but, well, firmly and consistently). So the way we see things shifts, kind of like a focus point on a camera.

I gave up contacts when it was suggested I start using reading glasses. I felt if I had to keep track of a pair of glasses, I might as well get rid of the expensive/scratchy/less-flexible contacts. Sometimes I regret that decision. But not often.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I had the same experience, Cathy. My near-sightedness has gone away, and I no longer rely on my glasses to see distance. I have a bit of astigmatism, so I still have to correct that, and my main issue now is close-up seeing.

I also love my progressives, for the reason you mention. Last year I lost my glasses. Since I really didn't need them for distance anyway, I bought the cheap readers for every day use. I really didn't like them. Constantly having to remember where I put them, digging in my purse, etc. They were cheap quality so they constantly broke or scratched. Progressives are great. You put them on for the day and you're good to go. So I did get new ones, even though my distance sight is almost perfect now.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    To see the young people coming to put us on the ice flow?

And I was going to say what Steve said.......it's not that our eyesight is improving for distance, it's a matter of muscles relaxing. I wonder if some people who are far-sighted, develop the opposite in older age?
    Now if I can just get my eye muscles to read close up, I'd be all set! Remember when you could squint to see better? I can't do that anymore either.

I have a single Rx for distance. When I need to read up close, I remove my glasses. For middle distance, I slide them to the end of my nose for a few seconds or minutes (the distance between the lenses and your eyes affects how the glasses work, so no need for two prescriptions). The nose-sliding is a little inconvenient, but it's free and you can fine-tune your focus by choosing just the right spot on your schnoz.

Thread Information