Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Arpaio pardon may not hold up!!!!!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

The Arpaio pardon may not hold up!!!!!

I've got wonderful news from Phoenix and the 85006! It turns out that a judge in Maricopa County, a Ms. Susan Bolton, is demanding oral arguments of some kind as to the Arpaio pardon, which are scheduled for October 4th. Apparently this judge has issues - much as I do - with Trump swooping down and granting a pardon before the criminal justice system finished with Arpaio.

There is joy in the 85006 with the possibility of Trump being given a dose of reality from Maricopa County....it's not over yet, folks! I have so much respect for Judge Bolton, I wonder if a street or a library could be named after her if she indeed does block or mess with the pardon somehow? Rob

I'm curious how that will work. What's the judge's constitutional basis for proceeding in this way?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I'm curious how that will work. What's the judge's constitutional basis for proceeding in this way?
    Bae, apparently Ms. Bolton is saying that accepting a pardon carries with it an admission of guilt (something I totally agree with) - somehow Ms. Bolton has issues with this. I don't have time right now to research it as I am on my break from working a lunch banquet at the Convention Center but if you are interested you could google Judge Bolton Arpaio pardon not over and find the details - some of the legalese went over me but I was in America Moves Too Fast For Human Beings/American Survival Mode when I read it so I was only able to grasp the main points. I know you grasp these things better than I do so why not look it up - if interested?

Good day to all from Downtown Phoenix, BTW! Rob

Came back to add that that if Ms. Bolton does indeed somehow block this pardon, or somehow inconveniences/blocks Arpaio's potential run for a Arizona Senate Seat, I will do what little I can to advocate for her name to grace something public out of respect to her - her stance for human rights deserves this AND international recognition, especially since Apaio's shame is known far and wide overseas (not just in Spanish speaking countries, but all across Europe, too). Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post

...especially since Apaio's shame is known far and wide overseas (not just in Spanish speaking countries, but all across Europe, too). Rob
    Yeah, I dont think so. I am in Prague right now, and no one is talking about this pardon. DH met up with 200+ european relatives at a family reunion in Switzerland, and no one mentioned Sheriff Joe and his troubles.

On another note related to persecution, we stopped in to an antique shop today that carried a few Nazi medals. These are forbidden to be sold in many places. Funny how that made them more interesting. I especially liked the Mothers' medals that were awarded for having x number of children. Some weirdo stuff there.

IL: have a great vacation! I hear that Prague is so beautiful. One of the places I want to go. WE have been to Krakow twice and that is also a beautiful, historical city.

I see nothing in the coverage of Bolton's actions that suggests she is "blocking" or otherwise undoing the pardon.

Before throwing a block party, you might want to look into the details of pardons, how they work, what they mean, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I see nothing in the coverage of Bolton's actions that suggests she is "blocking" or otherwise undoing the pardon.

Before throwing a block party, you might want to look into the details of pardons, how they work, what they mean, and so on.
    Bae, go to yahoo.com news - the story there covers her actions. With the implication that the pardon may not hold up. I heard Chicanos Por La Causa covered this too but in Spanish so I don't understand all of it - shame on me - I need it in English if I am to grasp most of it. Rob

PS The Arpaio pardon, if it indeed is overturned? I've heard nothing of a Neighborhood Block Party to celebrate this. This would be more like a day of Thanksgiving and deep gratitude instead of the rebellious joy that Trump being kicked to the curb would represent. And I'm not giving you a hard time here, I'm just trying to clarify that different politicians provoke gratitude and acts of gratitude in the 85006 on different levels when they finally fall. That's all. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Yeah, I dont think so. I am in Prague right now, and no one is talking about this pardon. DH met up with 200+ european relatives at a family reunion in Switzerland, and no one mentioned Sheriff Joe and his troubles.

On another note related to persecution, we stopped in to an antique shop today that carried a few Nazi medals. These are forbidden to be sold in many places. Funny how that made them more interesting. I especially liked the Mothers' medals that were awarded for having x number of children. Some weirdo stuff there.
    My family in Austria knows all about former Sheriff Joe as do many of their friends and neighbors. It was so embarrassing to have to deal with his name and cringe for what America currently represents while I was present in a better country two years ago. I was so ashamed but at least my family can be proud that I've always resisted him and his brand of evil. At least that much can be said about me to redeem me in the eyes of my family and at least my name is on an ornament on their Christmas tree - there's enough Austria in me for them to recognize me. I take comfort in that - much as I take comfort in how kind my husband's family in Mexico has been to me ever since I have discussed my politics/beliefs about various issues relevant to Mexican nationals with them.

Something I find flattering is that an Aunt of my husband's in Monterrey even said to my husband - and I quote - "If you have to be with a man instead of a woman, at least this one is a good man. A good wise man with a good heart." That to me is something that mere money can't buy and what's really cool is to earn this, all I had to do was to be honest and speak my truth from the lower classes. Rob

PS Came back to add that I'm pretty sure that the Nazi medals are illegal to sell in Austria - I'm surprised they are legal to be sold in the Czech Republic.

I seriously doubt that if previous presidents can pardon convicted felons that Sheriff Joes misdemeanor is going to be a problem.

Rob,

I think you need to read what the coverage says.

Bolton isn't doing anything to the pardon itself. She's simply pointing out that the Justice Department's guidelines on what pardons mean will be followed.

https://www.justice.gov/pardon/frequ...utive-clemency

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.81a3b85320b1

Thread Information