Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: June Purge

June Purge

Oldest son finally installed the new light fixture above our kitchen table so I got to declutter the old one that was 26 years old. I am in love with the new fixture. Goes well with the cabin feel that we are trying to achieve in our house. We love wood and earth tones and the brassy gold light that was there before did not fit in at all.

I am in a decluttering mood, which usually happens after we go to an estate sale over the weekend. We have a good friend who has an estate sale service so it is fun to go, especially in the area where I live (near Santa Fe) because people have amazing houses and furnishings and art and pottery and rugs and on and on...

Our friend always gives us a great deal, so we ended up with a few pottery pieces ($5 for the lot!) and my husband (with HIS money) bought an antique Turkish rug for a great price that needs a good cleaning. But the house just had SO MUCH STUFF and I walked away determined to NEVER let our house get that cluttered up with random collections of things. We are at the point of being fully furnished after almost four years in the house, so I am at the point of if "I bring something new into the house, something old or of no use has to go." Today I am taking some commercial plates and bowls back to Savers (where I probably bought them years ago) because they don't match the new handmade pottery by a local potter we've started to collect. I'm envisioning buying random pieces in the same color glaze and style, but not necessarily matching, but to "go with" what we have.

So now it will be a fun mission to round out our dish collection by going to estate sales and thrift stores!

Yppej
    Getting after the City to take my yard waste away. They only emptied one of four barrels. We are getting a new hauler soon who hopefully will be better.

Klunick: Congrats on the new light fixture. Successful home improvements are so satisfying.
    SiouzQ: That sounds like a fun mission. My sister and I call these our "quests." I have mix and match dishes, and they suit our informal lifestyle very nicely.
    Jeppy: We've had trouble with pickups being delayed recently. It seems to have gotten worse since Republic bought out JRM. We only have one spring yard waste pickup in our town, and they were running a few days behind this year.
    I gave away 4 tomato cages via local FB giving page.

Husband finally installed new stainless hood to replace horrible old hood and old eyesore hood taken to the dump.

This makes stove look worse, however.

Tybee, You made me laugh....shiny new often makes old look shabby. It has happened to me....

We don't have brush pick up...and the only place to drop it is 40 minutes away, but luckily we have a "no one's land" area between us and the neighbors that is grown wild so we've been dumping there until it is developed.

Here is a cautionary tale in pictures of what happens if you don't declutter and then you die! It's also an interesting look at what $250k will buy you for real estate in my area, although probably not, because I've heard that the interest generated by this property was phenomenal, and it's probably going to close at above asking price.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M33941-49193

Wow, there is a lot to love about that house, especially the field behind and the MCM cabinets! A couple of dumpsters and no problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Wow, there is a lot to love about that house, especially the field behind and the MCM cabinets! A couple of dumpsters and no problem!
    Pink bathroom!!! Yes, I like the kitchen cabinets. This is not a bad house.

Yeegads, that's scary but there is potential underneath all the crap, though it's hard to see how it is structurally underneath all the trash. That basement was a nightmare! Reminds me of when I worked for a lady who was a Level 5 hoarder.

Thread Information