Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disengaged.

Disengaged.

I have found myself disengaged. By this I mean:

-I don't have serious political discussions. I feel like things are bad and only getting worse.

-I don't live a "green" life or do any of that silly sustainability stuff. Climate change is a juggernaut we can no longer hope to stop.

-Personal friends and acquaintances I see heading for pitfalls in life... I don't say anything to them. They'd probably resent me for it anyway.

-I don't see the possibility of making any changes to my community, society, the nation, or the world.

-I dropped my social work classes and took a formal leave of absence because I am just hopeless about it all.

This is my strategy. I am just disengaging from as much of this culture as possible.

Thoughts?

I Think you sound clinically depressed and I think you should go talk to a physician and get some blood work.

it is also possible that you are depressed because (your) life is depressing.

and atheism is hard - no matter what you do, you die. Game over. This is why people like religion so much. It's comforting to believe you can win.

aside from the physician, a counselor might be good. If you have a counselor you should perhaps examine why the relationship isn't helping.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Ay Carumba! As one of the more cynically realistic long term posters here, my advice is to find a way to care somehow. Seriously. I have a hard time waking up and dealing with this country every day as I saw it for what it truly is many, many, many years ago - still I get up, I make an effort, I protest, I light candles, I send off letters to the editor of Borderland newspapers, I try to encourage young people in the 85006 to immigrate to Canada - I do what I can. To not try or to not care is to admit defeat and to let powers that don't care about human life or human dignity to win. I can't do that - human life and human dignity mean more than that to me.

My advice? Find something that soothes and fills your soul. For me it would be the love I have managed to find with my partner and my renewed faith - for you it could very well be something else. Get your soul filled - and then find something you find absolutely repulsive - in modern day America this is not hard at all - and fight and fight and fight and fight. At least you know you tried and didn't roll over and play a victim for corporate profit and you know you did some independent thinking of your own - how many people can truly say that these days? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    I Think you sound clinically depressed and I think you should go talk to a physician and get some blood work.

it is also possible that you are depressed because (your) life is depressing.

and atheism is hard - no matter what you do, you die. Game over. This is why people like religion so much. It's comforting to believe you can win.

aside from the physician, a counselor might be good. If you have a counselor you should perhaps examine why the relationship isn't helping.
    I don't feel that sad, really.

And death is not a worry of mine (suffering sure is though!).

Why bloodwork?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Why bloodwork?
    Thyroid, Vitamin D, testosterone, ...

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Ay Carumba! As one of the more cynically realistic long term posters here, my advice is to find a way to care somehow. Seriously. I have a hard time waking up and dealing with this country every day as I saw it for what it truly is many, many, many years ago - still I get up, I make an effort, I protest, I light candles, I send off letters to the editor of Borderland newspapers, I try to encourage young people in the 85006 to immigrate to Canada - I do what I can. To not try or to not care is to admit defeat and to let powers that don't care about human life or human dignity to win. I can't do that - human life and human dignity mean more than that to me.

My advice? Find something that soothes and fills your soul. For me it would be the love I have managed to find with my partner and my renewed faith - for you it could very well be something else. Get your soul filled - and then find something you find absolutely repulsive - in modern day America this is not hard at all - and fight and fight and fight and fight. At least you know you tried and didn't roll over and play a victim for corporate profit and you know you did some independent thinking of your own - how many people can truly say that these days? Rob
    Is re-engaging really the only path?

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Thyroid, Vitamin D, testosterone, ...
    My mom had Grave's Disease. I have had a D deficiency in the past (but I do take lots of D consistently. As for T, I dunno. I had it tested about 10 years ago -- "normal ranges."

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Is re-engaging really the only path?
    Fair question.

I look around me at all the misery and injustice in the world and my take is that it's up to me as an adult human being to at least try to do something positive about it.

I guess you could say something along the lines of "This is the Human Condition, deal' - but my take is to do so without offering resistance is to be guilty of whatever injustice is at hand yourself. I don't personally want to go through life that way, so for me, and YMMV, re-engaging is how I would go.

But I'd also say taking some time out for yourself to recharge and find a bedrock to ground yourself in and to believe in would be a good thing, too......Rob

I don't feel that sad, really.
    Several people I've known with depression didn't feel sad. They just didn't feel anything.

Yppej

-I don't see the possibility of making any changes to my community, society, the nation, or the world.

Thoughts?
    Acceptance and detachment - there's a religion for that.

Thread Information