Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Disengaged.

Yppej
    If you had a bigger boat than a canoe you could be rescuing people in Texas. The people doing that seem to find it very fulfilling.

if you mean you have just decided to become apolitical. Ok. People live heir whole lives quite happily disengaged from politics.
    yea apolitical is one thing, depressed another, I couldn't possibly say which it is, I mean if there is hope day to day for small things in life (groups one is leading etc.) I'm not sure it's all that depressed (but I run a bit depressive so I might not be the one to ask...).

Apolitical is neither globally good nor bad, I mean in theory it's bad, because in theory we should want to have an impact on our community etc.. but in reality if it gets to the point where one doesn't see much possibility of that anyway, there is no point continuing to depressively brood about politics while NOT doing much anyway (to still vote when the chance comes - yes that's still fine and somewhat worthwhile IMO - but only takes so long).

OTOH it occurred to me: is it really truly apathy and detachment (and unwillingness to hear any more news in the age of Trump - which I really regard as completely normal btw ) or do you still actually care a great deal and you are trying TOO hard to be detached, because it almost reads like the latter.
    Trees don't grow on money

I just have to ask if it is a problem or not for real? I don't want to assume that something I would be uncomfortable with would be the same for you. And I don't think we need to spend all our time super blissfully happy.

I found that not having hope was really painful for me however. I find a bit of a struggle with Buddhism and the value of hope. I really needed to put some hope in, or at least positive plans that I was not super clingy attached to, because it was getting just to be too much low-mood. If you are fine then just be fine, but then I wonder what you are asking. Do you think you 'should' be another way?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I have found myself disengaged. By this I mean:

-I don't have serious political discussions. I feel like things are bad and only getting worse.

-I don't live a "green" life or do any of that silly sustainability stuff. Climate change is a juggernaut we can no longer hope to stop.

-Personal friends and acquaintances I see heading for pitfalls in life... I don't say anything to them. They'd probably resent me for it anyway.

-I don't see the possibility of making any changes to my community, society, the nation, or the world.

-I dropped my social work classes and took a formal leave of absence because I am just hopeless about it all.

This is my strategy. I am just disengaging from as much of this culture as possible.

Thoughts?
    Will you resent us for it anyway? You don't see changing others? This smacks of reality that you can only change you. Everyone can only change themselves as they have to want to change. Otherwise your changing them under duress (mind control, abuse, etc).
    How will a "leave of absence" affect your student loans? Will you be looking to see what else is out there for careers?
    Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Ay Carumba! As one of the more cynically realistic
    Rob

I could fill this post with smiley's from how this made me laugh. I've read what you consider reality and find it similar to a child believing in Santa.

I advocate for my coworkers at work -- tell leadership how great so-and-so is at this or that. I also joke around with them and support them too. One lost her dog recently, I bought a card for her and got everyone to sign it. I also initiate much of our social activity at work.

I volunteer with the atheist community here. Just last Sunday I led a canoe trip.
    Do others at work really want to be social, or do they want to get work done, go home to their families and friends and do things they enjoy?
    The best leaders IMHE, don't need to lead.

-I don't have serious political discussions. I feel like things are bad and only getting worse.

-I don't live a "green" life or do any of that silly sustainability stuff. Climate change is a juggernaut we can no longer hope to stop.

-Personal friends and acquaintances I see heading for pitfalls in life... I don't say anything to them. They'd probably resent me for it anyway.

-I don't see the possibility of making any changes to my community, society, the nation, or the world.

-I dropped my social work classes and took a formal leave of absence because I am just hopeless about it all.

This is my strategy. I am just disengaging from as much of this culture as possible.

Thoughts?
    While I won’t quite talking about my spiritual beliefs, I too have quit talking about politics. Jesus said to pray thy kingdom come, not thy political part come. I don’t believe the answer lies with man.

I don’t intentionally live a green life, it happens. I bike to work because it brings me joy. It also keeps me from driving my truck that gets 12 mpg. I conserve water by using a spray bottle to clean out my razor while shaving and taking quick showers.

I have close family members that are making what I believe to be bad choices. So I live my life as the best example I can and pray for them often that they would be safe and decide to change there ways. It could happen, I changed my ways.

You never know what little thing you do will have ripple effects. Hold a door for someone. Push someones car out of a snow bank. Love travels.
    Maybe God is letting you hit rock bottom so you will look up. I hope the best for you. Sorry I will shut up now. PS go take a bike ride.

Thoughts?
    whats the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    What you wrote doesn't actually bother me – you sound like you're just accepting the realities of life.
    Accepting the realities of life is kind of a new thing for me.

Oh, well, in that case happy adulthood!

and no wonder you sound drepressed.

Quote Originally Posted by ToomuchStuff View Post
    Will you resent us for it anyway? You don't see changing others? This smacks of reality that you can only change you. Everyone can only change themselves as they have to want to change. Otherwise your changing them under duress (mind control, abuse, etc).
    How will a "leave of absence" affect your student loans? Will you be looking to see what else is out there for careers?

I could fill this post with smiley's from how this made me laugh. I've read what you consider reality and find it similar to a child believing in Santa.

Do others at work really want to be social, or do they want to get work done, go home to their families and friends and do things they enjoy?
    The best leaders IMHE, don't need to lead.
    My leave of absence does not effect my student loans. I am a public employee on the Public Employee Loan Forgiveness Plan. My classes I was taking in social work were free because I am an employee of the university.

My coworkers do appear to want to be social. For instance, every day I will send out an email asking if the want to go to the cafe a very short walk from our workplace. Most days they all want to go. Occasionally someone will take a pass on it because they have a tight deadline.

I also have done experiments where I don't ask anyone. They inevitably come to my cube and say: "Are we going to the cafe?"

I am not really a leader at work. I advocate for my colleagues because they would otherwise have no one but themselves doing so. Not that it does any real good...
    I have actually decided to not advocate for them anymore. Though one recently asked me to put in a good word for her with a certain person in leadership who I have historically been quite candid with.

What will you do while on leave?

Thread Information