Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Disengaged.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Acceptance and detachment - there's a religion for that.
    Buddhism? Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Acceptance and detachment - there's a religion for that.
    Apatheism?

Chiming in on "depressed doesn't mean sad."

This is going to sound really snarky but it is not intended that way. Self-centredness is very hard work to maintain. When I feel somewhat detached I make a point of going out and seeing what I can do to give some joy or positive feedback or simply a smile to someone.
    Everywhere I go now, I usually find one, often more, to greet and see how their day is going. Almost all respond and now make a point of greeting me. If they haven't seen me for a while because I take a different route or walk the trail, they start wondering if something happened to me.

Most people are needing some attention or an ear even for a few minutes. This is all ages, young and old. My neighbourhood is mixed with young and established families. Teens will talk lightly or wave from a distance, little ones learning to ride their bikes, retirees walking.

It is not about me but how valuable others are and especially if they need a reminder. Everyone has a story - some have lost their partner, their child, their job, sense of purpose, everything that affirms and validates their worth as human beings. I try to give what I am able to do without intrusion into their life with care to ensure boundaries in mine.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    This is going to sound really snarky but it is not intended that way. Self-centredness is very hard work to maintain. When I feel somewhat detached I make a point of going out and seeing what I can do to give some joy or positive feedback or simply a smile to someone.
    Everywhere I go now, I usually find one, often more, to greet and see how their day is going. Almost all respond and now make a point of greeting me. If they haven't seen me for a while because I take a different route or walk the trail, they start wondering if something happened to me.

Most people are needing some attention or an ear even for a few minutes. This is all ages, young and old. My neighbourhood is mixed with young and established families. Teens will talk lightly or wave from a distance, little ones learning to ride their bikes, retirees walking.

It is not about me but how valuable others are and especially if they need a reminder. Everyone has a story - some have lost their partner, their child, their job, sense of purpose, everything that affirms and validates their worth as human beings. I try to give what I am able to do without intrusion into their life with care to ensure boundaries in mine.
    I advocate for my coworkers at work -- tell leadership how great so-and-so is at this or that. I also joke around with them and support them too. One lost her dog recently, I bought a card for her and got everyone to sign it. I also initiate much of our social activity at work.

I volunteer with the atheist community here. Just last Sunday I led a canoe trip.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    I advocate for my coworkers at work -- tell leadership how great so-and-so is at this or that. I also joke around with them and support them too. One lost her dog recently, I bought a card for her and got everyone to sign it. I also initiate much of our social activity at work.

I volunteer with the atheist community here. Just last Sunday I led a canoe trip.
    So are you mainly helping people in similar circumstances rather than the less fortunate? And do you think shifting to the latter would be more rewarding?

What you wrote doesn't actually bother me – you sound like you're just accepting the realities of life.

I believe that getting up and going and being engaged in life.....different things are going to work for different people as we are not all motivated by the same carrot. For me, as the regulars here by now know, activism really helps me maintain my edge and keeps me engaged and caring about the world. Maybe some advice would be...what motivates you on your time? Not on your employer's time, but on your time? What energizes you when you don't have to play a role for cash flow? Maybe if you follow that more that would help with being engaged? Just an idea......Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    What you wrote doesn't actually bother me – you sound like you're just accepting the realities of life.
    True, a lot of the realities of life bite, but....keeping engaged with life as much we can....doesn't it seem like this is a good idea for the short bit of time we are present in this life? Just my take.....but then life has always been intense for me, even as an introvert, and I haven't lacked for injustice to get riled up about and to be engaged over......Rob

So, if you are running canoe trips, you are not "disengaged" if the canoe trips no longer give you any enjoyment or satisfaction - that is a concern.

if you mean you have just decided to become apolitical. Ok. People live heir whole lives quite happily disengaged from politics. And clearly, most of them don't care about the environment.

so, you do you.

Thread Information