Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Social media really can help society.....

Moving to a town for the express purpose of being abused by the police and consequently pursuing a lawsuit seems to be a somewhat less rational business model than the lottery. Absent deliberately provoking an incident, the odds would seem pretty long on running into one of Rob's rogue cops under just the right circumstances. This strategy smacks of good old-fashioned insurance fraud to me.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    If one gets fear-mongering running out of control, please bear in mind that a number of people in Canada are refusing to cross the border into the US due to the number of legally held guns held by the general public in the US. I shake my head and keep quiet as fear-mongering is not rational thinking. If someone is that fearful, travelling is not fun anyway.

While I am quite willing to visit the US, driving there on the expressways scares me. The busiest road in North America is the 401 through Toronto http://https://oppositelock.kinja.co...ica-1559577839. I do drive on it but avoid as much as possible. The speed is usually around 110-120km or 70-75mph. Some expressways in the US appear to have cars travelling at much higher speeds or far more erratically. I have no confidence in driving there as a result. My fears impacting my decisions.
    Hi Razz!

I have been reading of the US/Canadian border recently, and I remember my last time crossing into Canada years ago back in 1996 and how pleasant it was - I was so impressed as the Border Agent I interacted with, after they asked me a few expected questions, spent a good minute with me giving me advice on places I might want to check out in Vancouver. This was actually one of the most pleasant border crossings I have ever had entering any country.

Now I've read that BOTH sides of the border - Canada, too - can be quite nasty to enter. From what I'm reading, 9/11 changed the US/Canada border and the paranoia of the refugees that Canada has accepted - the paranoia in the US of these refugees - does not help. I will say that years ago when I reentered the US from Canada, I was not exactly harrassed by the US Border Agent - I entered in Washington State via ferry from Canada - I was asked a few questions, no big deal there, but then 20 seconds was spent trying to get a reason out of me why I'd visit Canada instead of somewhere I'd never been in the United States. The Agent did not care for my answer, either, which was that human life is worth socialized medicine in Canada unlike in the United States and I'm morally and ethically obligated to support such with my tourism dollars. Did not go over well but other than an evil glare and a few tense seconds, it wasn't all that bad. I was not sent to secondary and I was not further questioned.....today I don't know how I'd answer such a question at the Northern Border.....from what I've read agents on both sides of the border are drunk on power and will try to nab you for the slightest imagined thing.

That all said, I've also read that since Trump was sworn in, more and more Canadians are being turned away from the US for the flimsiest of reasons, if any, and that more and more Canadians are boycotting the US due to Trump and the border nastiness/uncertainty of crossing. It's a sad thing as Canada has for a long time been an ally of the US and an alternative to the US for those who could get accepted to immigrate to Canada......I for my part respect Canada and I would wish Canada better treatment from the US. Much like I apologize non-stop for Donald Trump's existence while I am in Mexico - I also apologize to Canada and I hope Canadians realize that not all Americans support Trump, or voted for him, or even believe in the United States to begin with. The insanity I have read that Canadians are encountering attempting to cross the border - it's not illustrative of all Americans once having crossed the border, I guess like the point other posters have tried to make here that the bad actions of a few US police officers are not illustrative of all US police officers (something I will take up on a later response). Rob

Gimme, I can only go on what my daughter and family experienced in their visit to Washington which they drove, found accommodation in Maryland and took daily transit for the week in March to downtown Washington during the March, 2017 school break. They raved about the warmth and support expressed the whole week from staff, other travellers and guides.
    Courtesy throughout, very brief, border visits, going and return. They bought very little as it was more a visit to experience than shop so little to declare beyond some booze at the Duty-free shop.

There have been some challenges reported in the media but I would have no hesitation to crossing the border at either Niagara or Sarnia.
    Friends go to NY state to visit family with no concerns or delays in either direction; volume might be a problem at times but even that has gone down since the exchange rate is so far out of sync.

I spoke to US citizens who were attending the same play at Stratford Festival on August 29th and they spoke of a 4.5 hour trip home with no expressed concerns about the border crossing. Both C and US citizens need a passport but that is not unreasonable.

It seems that challenges are different in your part of the world which makes it hard for those of us not encountering similar obstacles to fully understand your fears. May I suggest that while supporting your community as you see wise, please just recognize that many of us don't encounter similar challenges.

I ache when I read the tension between the differing points of view as neither is actually walking in the other's shoes.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Just a shout-out from the 98245.

I live right on the US/Canada border. I could probably swim to Canada if I put on my water rescue suit so the hypothermia didn't get to me. I crossed the border half a dozen times last week.

I have not seen the situation Rob describes about US/Canada border relations, in this region. It is a fantasy.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Just a shout-out from the 98245.

I live right on the US/Canada border. I could probably swim to Canada if I put on my water rescue suit so the hypothermia didn't get to me. I crossed the border half a dozen times last week.

I have not seen the situation Rob describes about US/Canada border relations, in this region. It is a fantasy.
    Personally, I have not experienced this either, Bae. I am merely passing along what I have read online from multiple sources. Though I will say I'm glad to hear others saying that it's not like that. I also mentioned above that my experience entering Canada in 1996 was very pleasant, and my return experience entering the US from Canada in 1996, though not pleasant, was not one of fear and/or terror, either. It wasn't pleasant but didn't last long and didn't escalate so I'm not going to complain. Rob

PS I think it's cool that you mentioned your zip code in your post, for what it's worth lol.

I don't cross the border very often. But it's never been a hassle. Going to the Bahamas they don't ask for much, you have to fill out a form with passenger info, then pay them a fee for both coming and going. Back to the states you have to file a flight plan and give them notice of your arrival time to stop at customs. Actually you have to file a plan when your leaving also. I rarely file a flight plan in the states.

The real crime we need to go after is servers spitting in food. Just think of the horror, who knows what disease may be spread. And let's not forget the ones who don't wash their hands in the restrooms. They have no regard for human rights. Hopefully they can be caught on cell phones and lose their jobs for life. And of coarse big lawsuits to follow.

ill bet this has happened to more people than bad cops.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    The real crime we need to go after is servers spitting in food. Just think of the horror, who knows what disease may be spread. And let's not forget the ones who don't wash their hands in the restrooms. They have no regard for human rights. Hopefully they can be caught on cell phones and lose their jobs for life. And of coarse big lawsuits to follow.

Methinks Alex Wubbels and their heirs of various victims of the police in the Twin Cities Metro Area would beg to differ with you......Rob

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post

It might be fun to follow Rob around each of his shifts, recording his every move, every customer interaction, while simultaneously talking trash in hopes he'll react in some way which would guarantee us a big payday, and with the added bonus of taking away his livelihood.

On second thought it probably wouldn't be fun at all, there's really no pleasure to be found in forced Karma.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I went out with the whole family last night to a very expensive restaurant here, for a very special occasion.

The meal, and the service, were so bad that I did take photos and videos with my smartphone, and I've already made complaints to the Sheriff. I'm hoping the business will be run out of town on a rail.

Thread Information