Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Social media really can help society.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    There's new police drama and at a level far above the 85006. Micheal Bennett of the Seattle Seahawks is now claiming he was singled out of a group of people, and thrown down on the ground and roughed up by police in Las Vegas. Deep pockets here and a threat of a lawsuit, plus a name to garner media attention. And the police war against US citizens continues......Rob

Rob, yes I believe the pension should go to the officer and not the victim. The officer may have a family that will need what he/she earned. The police becoming more violent is a symptom of our entire society that has been more violent. When I was young how often did you ever hear about a random person shooting a cop for no reason? People driving their cars through crowds on purpose ? The police are a reflection of our entire society unfortunately. WE have much bigger issues here and people winning large lawsuits will not solve the problem. It is systemic and even with many changes it will take time to reverse this trend.

Geila
    I haven't read the thread, just the title, so I might be repeating something already said. In all my dealings with police officers I've only had one negative occurrence. A male officer was being a jerk to me (pulled me over for a driving infraction and proceeded to berate me in an angry and threatening tone). I demanded that he call a second officer and refused to speak with him until the second officer arrived. He had a right to pull me over and cite me, but not to verbally abuse me and I told him so. He called for backup, a female officer came, I lodged a complaint on the male officer and received my driving citation for which the male officer had pulled me over.

All of my other interactions with police officers has been positive and I am grateful that good men and women are willing to do that job. I think the actions of a minority are affecting the majority negatively. That's been my personal experience. That has also been my personal experience with black men. The media would have us believe that black men are all dangerous and violent. I have known many black men in my life: my favorite teacher of all time was Mr. Phillips, a black man and my 6th grade teacher in East L.A., my first boyfriend was also black, and so on. And in all my interactions with black men over the last 40 years, I have had zero negative experiences with them. Not a single one has been violent or dangerous. So how is it that now I have to consciously fight the impulse to categorize every black man as dangerous and violent?

Media can be a good thing, but it can also be used to manipulate and hurt people. And that's because the orchestrators of media are human and human beings can be both amazingly kind and horribly evil. Media is just a tool. Humans are the problem. And I guess the solution too.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Rob, yes I believe the pension should go to the officer and not the victim. The officer may have a family that will need what he/she earned. The police becoming more violent is a symptom of our entire society that has been more violent. When I was young how often did you ever hear about a random person shooting a cop for no reason? People driving their cars through crowds on purpose ? The police are a reflection of our entire society unfortunately. WE have much bigger issues here and people winning large lawsuits will not solve the problem. It is systemic and even with many changes it will take time to reverse this trend.
    Never say never. You have an excellent point here TT and I'm going to yield some to your point. That being, I did not think of the officer's family and there is no reason I can think of that they should suffer for the actions of an officer. Dead on. And I'm afraid the other activists around me have completely glossed over thinking of the officer's family. Thank You - you have given me a humanity check. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Interesting...other than career politicians, I have a harder time seeing any group of people as more petty and vindictive than the police. But I do confess to seeing career politicians as worse in this regard. Rob
    There's a good possibility that kind of thinking will do you more harm than any cop ever will.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    There's a good possibility that kind of thinking will do you more harm than any cop ever will.
    I wish we were both standing in front of Salt Lake City nurse Alex Wubblels so that we could get her take on your comment.......Rob

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Rob's anger and bitterness toward police really strikes me as hyperbolic and over-the-top. I've been pulled over a zillion times (mostly when I was young) and given many tickets. I have had my car searched. I have been given sobriety tests (and I am a lifelong teetotaler, as I told the cops too). I have been frisked. I have been arrested. I have been thrown in jail too. haha

But I still don't feel the way Rob does about cops.

I mostly think they are just regular folks in a tough job. Now sure, a few racists and too many sociopaths make it into the ranks. Though I'd say it is still a really, really low percentage.

Do I think things like community policing and some major policy changes could fix many of the problems we have in law enforcement? Yes!

I've heard people say things like:

"Everybody makes fun of rednecks until their car breaks down."

Or:

"Everyone teases the preppers until a torhurriquake hits your neighborhood."

And I think something along these lines should be a saying about cops:

"Everybody thinks cops are the gestapo until they arrest the serial rapist in your town."

So Rob, why not ease up a bit on the cops? I am asking you this as a very liberal liberal, a fellow Lefty McLefterson. Why not just ease up a little?

I wish we were both standing in front of Salt Lake City nurse Alex Wubblels so that we could get her take on your comment.......Rob
    Have you ever seen anything in the news about cops that was good?

Check this out:

http://people.com/human-interest/hou...arvey-victims/

Quote Originally Posted by Ultralight View Post
    Have you ever seen anything in the news about cops that was good?

Check this out:

http://people.com/human-interest/hou...arvey-victims/
    Don't harsh his buzz dude!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I think if she read this thread she would probably agree with me.

Thread Information