Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Social media really can help society.....

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Why are such people not screened out better during the hiring process ...?
    My understanding is that most departments screen during hiring.

But screening isn't perfect, and the mental health profession doesn't yet have an exact test for this sort of thing.

As a personal observation, most of the officers I know who have "gone bad" didn't start out that way - the stress of the job over time did them in.

And I also understand that many departments do ongoing screening, and provide counseling for stress-related issues, but when you look at the divorce rate, suicide rate, substance abuse rate for law enforcement officers, clearly what we do now isn't near perfect.

This is the problem when we have human beings in the equation.

Drew Peterson always comes to mind when I think about psych screening for police officers...
    Tacoma police chief David Brame apparently flunked his psych evaluation but was appointed anyway. Then he killed his estranged wife in front of their children.
    There is always a percentage of sociopaths who manage to get by the safeguards.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    There is always a percentage of sociopaths who manage to get by the safeguards.
    I think the really nasty ones are unfortunately also very good at acting "normal" as a cover.

Backing up.....it's not 100% sure that this officer was fired. There seem to be conflicting reports surfacing out there and I personally, and think you would agree Bae, think it's best to wait for a formal statement from the Salt Lake City PD itself.....so far the Salt Lake City PD has not verified termination of this officer. Rob
    But don't you think it's a little late to mention this now? In this version of social media, you've already authoritatively told us several times that he was fired. What about those people who only read your first half dozen posts on the subject and then walked away from the thread now that you've presented incorrect information over and over? You've used your voice to mislead.

Social media does change society, but it's rarely helpful.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    But don't you think it's a little late to mention this now? In this version of social media, you've already authoritatively told us several times that he was fired. What about those people who only read your first half dozen posts on the subject and then walked away from the thread now that you've presented incorrect information over and over? You've used your voice to mislead.

Social media does change society, but it's rarely helpful.
    I could not disagree more. Social media to some degree has flattened the playing field for the lower classes at least in the sense of facing injustice from the police. Police injustice can be downloaded to social media and the Internet at speeds so fast how can a human being truly comprehend them? Not only that but some basic home truths about the United States are worldwide knowledge now thanks to social media, and more and more people are avoiding the United States/taking their business and tourism currency elsewhere. Not at epic levels yet but such is increasing and every story such as this insane injustice in Salt Lake City add to the exodus of currency to countries other than the United States. Rob

I could not disagree more. Social media to some degree has flattened the playing field for the lower classes at least in the sense of facing injustice from the police. Police injustice can be downloaded to social media and the Internet at speeds so fast how can a human being truly comprehend them? Not only that but some basic home truths about the United States are worldwide knowledge now thanks to social media, and more and more people are avoiding the United States/taking their business and tourism currency elsewhere. Not at epic levels yet but such is increasing and every story such as this insane injustice in Salt Lake City add to the exodus of currency to countries other than the United States. Rob
    I think you're confusing opinion and bias for truth.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I think you're confusing opinion and bias for truth.
    ? Rob

The latest I have been able to find is from what I consider a reliable source - the AP - who claims a prosecutor in Salt Lake City wants to open a criminal investigation/probe into the officer's actions regarding the arrest of the two time Olympian nurse......crossing fingers that the career is ruined and that the pension is about to stop accruing. Rob

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    The latest I have been able to find is from what I consider a reliable source - the AP - who claims a prosecutor in Salt Lake City wants to open a criminal investigation/probe into the officer's actions regarding the arrest of the two time Olympian nurse......crossing fingers that the career is ruined and that the pension is about to stop accruing. Rob
    why oh why do you stay in this country. Do you not have a Mexican spouse?