Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Social media really can help society.....

Not what I have come to expect from you at all, Alan. OK, time for me to leave this thread alone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    It might be fun to follow Rob around each of his shifts, recording his every move, every customer interaction, while simultaneously talking trash in hopes he'll react in some way which would guarantee us a big payday, and with the added bonus of taking away his livelihood.

On second thought it probably wouldn't be fun at all, there's really no pleasure to be found in forced Karma.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

It might be fun to follow Rob around each of his shifts, recording his every move, every customer interaction, while simultaneously talking trash in hopes he'll react in some way which would guarantee us a big payday, and with the added bonus of taking away his livelihood.
    Sort of like being a "secret shopper"?

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Not what I have come to expect from you at all, Alan. OK, time for me to leave this thread alone.
    Sorry, but conventional wisdom tells us that what's good for the goose is also good for the gander. Fortunately, not many of us would follow through, especially since the stated purpose of this sort of activity is to provide fodder for large settlements. It's probably good for those who would follow through to consider their actions on a personal level.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Sort of like being a "secret shopper"?
    Sort of, but more overt and in-your-face.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Here's your sign.

So I guess Alan is going to be put on paid leave now as the owner of this forum, while zip codes call in.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"Agressive phone targeting" can also lead to indifferent public servants. Too many calls from obvious target campaigns are tiring.

Over on the MMM board there is ongoing discussion about political action, and there is debate about identifying oneself as a non-constituent when calling elected officials.

As a police chief, in, for instance, St. louis, I would not care much about the opinion of someone in the 85006. It may venture into unethical territory if a caller pretends to be a constituent. Personally, I think it is fine to give a small campsign donation and identify oneself as a "campaign contributor" when calling or writing.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    "Agressive phone targeting" can also lead to indifferent public servants. Too many calls from obvious target campaigns are tiring.

Over on the MMM board there is ongoing discussion about political action, and there is debate about identifying oneself as a non-constituent when calling elected officials.

As a police chief, in, for instance, St. louis, I would not care much about the opinion of someone in the 85006. It may venture into unethical territory if a caller pretends to be a constituent. Personally, I think it is fine to give a small campsign donation and identify oneself as a "campaign contributor" when calling or writing.
    Or they will set up phone lines like the cable company gives you if you want to cancel service. After a few hours on hold they will give you someone you can't understand.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

On second thought it probably wouldn't be fun at all, there's really no pleasure to be found in forced Karma.
    The difference? I don't carry a gun and if I choose to shoot and kill someone, I'm going to prison. There will be no paid administrative leave for me with full benefits while on leave, no union to protect me, no "I was afraid" defense to get me off with a slap on the wrist if even that.....these facts alone here, to me anyway, render your point meaningless. The differences here - due to the lack of checks on balances on the power of the police - are wider than the Grand Canyon at it's widest point - and from working many seasons at both the North and South Rims of the Grand Canyon, I can vouch that the distance between the two rims is wide indeed. Seriously. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    The difference? I don't carry a gun and if I choose to shoot and kill someone, I'm going to prison.
    No, you may get a trial, same as them. (there are cases of clear self defense where the party isn't charged) You will also be subject to civil lawsuit, same as them. (in cases of clear self defense, you can still be sued by the family of the attacker) You will not be up for administrative punishment, that they will be up for. (and being paid for while investigated to make sure they were doing what they are supposed to do)

Edit, I should add in your F&B job, you could just as easily kill someone (poison), which may take longer to trace back to you. You would also be civilly and criminally liable, as well as administratively (fired/work hours cut, etc.) punishable.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    The difference? I don't carry a gun and if I choose to shoot and kill someone, I'm going to prison.
    Are you implying that any officer involved shooting is the result of the police officer "choosing" to shoot and kill someone? If so, I strongly suggest you stop depending upon social media for your 'facts'.

I can vouch that the distance between the two rims is wide indeed. Seriously
    Much of that void is actually filled with extenuating circumstances, but you'd never see it if you only look at the other side.

Thread Information