Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Social media really can help society.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Rob, so glad that the other employees are happy that you got the job. I agree with UL that you are far better off then most of the world. I think sometimes we all tend to forget this instead focusing on people that have more then us. Suggesting that Payne should get 20-30 years in prison is ridiculous. Extremes are never the solution. I have had friends lose their children and that is real tragedy. The incident with the nurse was unpleasant and scary but most likely will not ruin her entire life. For some reason you have problems keeping things in perspective. You sound like a nice, caring person but for your own mental health I would take a news break.
    Hi TT. I think you might be right about the media fast....so much of this is so stressful to absorb as it's so insane. That said, I don't believe I have the right to let my friends and neighbors down on this one, especially since it's such an obvious and clear cut case of police brutality. I don't want to be guilty of condoning illegal police assualts upon innocent people so I'm basically stuck on this one. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I will be kind and spare you'all the verdict of District 23 in Vienna where my family in Austria lives other than to say I'm much more kind and humane towards this trash than Austrians are. And don't think I don't question myself for my liberal stance towards this inhumane trash in discussion. Rob
    I think when you start calling people "trash" and questioning their humanity, you are beyond the realm of civic discussion.

Then again, we all know how the Austrians treat people they view as trash, so perhaps it's to be expected.

Hi TT. I think you might be right about the media fast....so much of this is so stressful to absorb as it's so insane. That said, I don't believe I have the right to let my friends and neighbors down on this one, especially since it's such an obvious and clear cut case of police brutality. I don't want to be guilty of condoning illegal police assualts upon innocent people so I'm basically stuck on this one. Rob
    TT is absolutely right. Not demanding absurdly disproportionate sentences isn't the same thing as "condoning police assaults".

I simply cannot believe your views are in any way representative of the thinking in your corner of Phoenix, Austria or anywhere else. I don't see how a little perspective is "letting them down." You don't need to be especially pro-police to think what this guy did shouldn't be punished more harshly than most murders.

I see your take of allowing for and minimizing a violent and illegal arrest as indications of the true nature of this citizenship. Touche. Rob
    "Touche" is generally said to acknowledge a point scored against you by your opponent. I'm not sure you mean't to do that here.

Not sharing an extreme view on a topic isn't the same thing as minimizing it.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    TT is absolutely right. Not demanding absurdly disproportionate sentences isn't the same thing as "condoning police assaults".

I simply cannot believe your views are in any way representative of the thinking in your corner of Phoenix, Austria or anywhere else. I don't see how a little perspective is "letting them down." You don't need to be especially pro-police to think what this guy did shouldn't be punished more harshly than most murders.
    The problem as I've stated many times before is the history of police harassment in this neighborhood in Phoenix, AZ. Due to the history of police misbehavior, is it really a stretch that people afraid of the police would want life imprisonment for abuse of power while wearing the badge? For my part I find the acceptance of police brutality a very telling and scary thing - I can't and won't accept this from the police. But I do believe life imprisonment is a bit extreme - there are those who would not agree with this however.

I think part of the problem in this thread is that we really don't all live in the same country, and at this point I would not want a passport to an America where citizens auto-side with the police and actively make excuses for them in the light of damning video that clearly shows right and wrong. I just wouldn't have much in common with the citizens of such a country and they wouldn't have much in common with me. And this is such a huge issue to lower income people and it's only getting worse and growing and growing and growing.

I don't have all the answers and I can see where some takes of the 85006 might come across as extreme to those who don't live in this reality - that doesn't make the takes any less valid and real. It just means that you somehow avoided this reality for the time being although I'd never count on that to continue for the majority of Americans with the level of competition these days. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think when you start calling people "trash" and questioning their humanity, you are beyond the realm of civic discussion.

Then again, we all know how the Austrians treat people they view as trash, so perhaps it's to be expected.
    My take Bae is that Detective Jeff Payne? Not only were his infamous behaviors viewed around the world illegal, they were also inhumane. To an extreme - due to his "all hail my power or I'll destroy you" mentality and actions. To me he personifies a human male I would consider trash - and this is the nicest word I can possible come up with for him. Any other word would be profane and there's really no reason to go there, is there? I can see how going there would be inflammatory and there is no reason to be inflammatory when making a point that is so easy to see. Rob

Interesting news about the Wubbel's arrest.....the FBI is getting involved in the criminal probe of the events of that day. This will be an interesting test for Trump's FBI as if the FBI just lets everyone off the hook, it's really going to make Trump look awful and like a police apologist....and there will be yet more hatred and anger and hostility towards the police going forward. I don't read the future but my take is....I'm not sure how this is going to turn out, I'm really not. But I'm glad Trump's FBI is being put to the test. And in a case where the victim is so likeable by most segments of society, and is comfortable in front of the camera and is articulate and can get her point across in a civil kind of way. Methinks police around America may rue the name Alex Wubbels for some time......I just feel like changes in policing are coming, I really do. What's going on now is unsustainable and at this point anything the police do wrong anywhere in the US will be videoed and downloaded aggressively. The days of the police being above the law I believe are about over - interesting that this precipice should arrive during Trump's time in office......Rob

The problem as I've stated many times before is the history of police harassment in this neighborhood in Phoenix, AZ. Due to the history of police misbehavior, is it really a stretch that people afraid of the police would want life imprisonment for abuse of power while wearing the badge? For my part I find the acceptance of police brutality a very telling and scary thing - I can't and won't accept this from the police. But I do believe life imprisonment is a bit extreme - there are those who would not agree with this however.

I think part of the problem in this thread is that we really don't all live in the same country, and at this point I would not want a passport to an America where citizens auto-side with the police and actively make excuses for them in the light of damning video that clearly shows right and wrong. I just wouldn't have much in common with the citizens of such a country and they wouldn't have much in common with me. And this is such a huge issue to lower income people and it's only getting worse and growing and growing and growing.

I don't have all the answers and I can see where some takes of the 85006 might come across as extreme to those who don't live in this reality - that doesn't make the takes any less valid and real. It just means that you somehow avoided this reality for the time being although I'd never count on that to continue for the majority of Americans with the level of competition these days. Rob
    I don't think a single poster here has advocated "the acceptance of police brutality". Issues like this cannot simply be reduced to being for you or against you. We do, in fact, inhabit the same country and the same reality, however much our perceptions and opinions may sometimes differ and however little you may like it. Your idea of justice clearly strikes many here as vengeance. I'm against theft, but I'm not for amputating thieves' hands. I'm against cops exceeding their authority, but I'm not for giving them 30-year sentences.

Questioning some of your more extreme statements isn't avoiding reality. It's embracing it.

In an odd coincidence, our Scottish cousin is being harrassed by "racist" and " victimizing scum" Austrian police. She is a tough girl and is riding her motercycle across Europe after the big family meetup in Switzerland last week that DH attended.

Guess bae's post about Austrians may be on target. And here, I was going to chide him about overstating...

I just thought her FB post was funny. She swears more than I do, haha.

ummm, be forwarned--language!

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Guess bae's post about Austrians may be on target. And here, I was going to chide him about overstating...
    I believe he was stating that Austrian's send their trash to the showers or lock them up for the rest of their lives.

Thread Information