Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Social media really can help society.....

I agree with SteveinMN about a) training and b) budgeting to prevent excessive overtime and c) cut back on the militarization of municipal police.

I think another solution is to provide a paid sabbatical to police officers and correctional officers.

I agree these are high stress careers, and burnout would be a big issue. I believe companies like Intel still provide paid sabbaticals every 7 years to their employees. I would be in favor of paying a bit more in taxes if this could be implemented.

What, psychopaths, drug dealers and double-parkers weren't enough? Now they've got to contend with obsessives with smartphones and pension envy? I'm amazed more cops don't lose it.

God bless those people. They may be imperfect, but they risk their safety for all of us on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    I just hope you'all don't need to actually call the police for anything anytime soon, and I mean this sincerely. Rob
    I interact with the police face-to-face probably 4-5 times a week.

Late at night, when I arrive to help with a drug overdose. Or in the middle of the day, when doing CPR and a local officer responds to the all-hands page and joins the high-performance CPR team and saves a life. Or out on the stormy sea, doing a marine search and rescue using the Sheriff's boat and crew. Or on the side of the road cutting people out of crashed vehicles, while the police control the scene and makes it safe to work. Or staging to be ready to move in once they've dealt with calming down a suicidal person with a weapon, at great risk to their own lives. Or at drill for mass casualty incidents, and active shooter training where we learn to go in right next to the law enforcement people. And so on.

I called a police officer just now - we're going out fishing this afternoon.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Thank Goodness for social media in the case of the nurse who was illegally and unconstitutionally assaulted by an officer in Salt Lake City, UT. They are getting so many calls that their recording says not to expect individualized call backs.....I have a feeling they are a bit overwhelmed with the amount of public response to their sheer evil they once would have gotten away with. Thankfully those days are over and more and more people are standing up to officers such as the ones in question - ruining pension accumulations and shortening careers in the name of protecting human life and human dignity.

I just hope this nurse refuses any gag order and she doesn't settle for a penny less than $100 million. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Lainey View Post
    I agree with SteveinMN about a) training and b) budgeting to prevent excessive overtime and c) cut back on the militarization of municipal police.

I think another solution is to provide a paid sabbatical to police officers and correctional officers.

I agree these are high stress careers, and burnout would be a big issue. I believe companies like Intel still provide paid sabbaticals every 7 years to their employees. I would be in favor of paying a bit more in taxes if this could be implemented.
    Lainey, I'll agree with a, b, and c.....especially C (big time!!!!!) and then A (with proof of having been trained for various situations so as to lessen any chance of disputing settlements for officer misconduct (i.e., that's never come up, I was afraid, I didn't know....option A needs to squelch all of that legally). But I agree that there are things that need to be done outside of the courtroom to address these issues that only seem to be festering and getting worse each passing year. Rob

Thank Goodness for social media in the case of the nurse who was illegally and unconstitutionally assaulted by an officer in Salt Lake City, UT.
    More than just social media in this case, it's come across all my paramedicine and fire feeds. Body cam, cell phone cam, hospital security cams. This particular police officer clearly needs to reconsider his career choice.

I just hope this nurse refuses any gag order and she doesn't settle for a penny less than $100 million. Rob
    What damages did she suffer that would warrant $100 million?

And what does a "gag order" have to do with anything? The story is out, with a dozen different camera angles.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    More than just social media in this case, it's come across all my paramedicine and fire feeds. Body cam, cell phone cam, hospital security cams. This particular police officer clearly needs to reconsider his career choice.
    Bae, I know we have had our issues over the years....but right here and now I just want to say: Thank You. Thank You from the bottom of my heart for not auto-siding with the police and for getting this. Thank You by proxy from everyone in the 85006, too.....just Thank You. You have given me some hope here.......Rob

Bae, I know we have had our issues over the years....but right here and now I just want to say: Thank You. Thank You from the bottom of my heart for not auto-siding with the police and for getting this.
    I've never auto-sided with the police. I've not auto-sided against them either.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What damages did she suffer that would warrant $100 million?

And what does a "gag order" have to do with anything? The story is out, with a dozen different camera angles.
    I meant a gag order forbidding her to speak as to the amount of the eventual settlement. Damages? To be assaulted by a police officer like that should warrant $250 million so as to have insurance companies clamp down on police departments everywhere and force them to knuckle under to the rule of the law. Given this nation's $20 TRILLION in debt here I am being humane and advocating a bargain basement settlement of $100 million, of course understanding that the final settlement will likely be for much less. Rob

Thread Information