Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting question about moving up in the workplace......

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Interesting question about moving up in the workplace......

I have been offered a chance to move up in the banquet temp world and I thought I would run it by you'all and see if I could get any advice pro (or con, con is cool, too). There is a new office manager at the temp service I work for who has been very decent and kind and respectful to me and at an event two days ago asked if I might be interested in becoming a site supervisor. This is not management per se but does offer $1.50 extra an hour. What the job entails is keeping tabs on who shows and who does not, keeping track of payroll by signing temps in and out, reporting any issues pronto to office management staff via cellphone, making some lower level (and I mean basic lower level) decisions on the spot as to the flow of banquets and where to move people to in the chain of production to get the max productivity....just basically being a very lower level supervisor.

My SO is all about me giving it a try and my instinct is 50/50 - I have had a brush once with management as I posted some time back. I was an Assistant Dining Room Supervisor at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon one season and due to how insane the season was, I basically ended out doing the manager's job with no training whatsoever, flying by the seat of my pants until I cracked and couldn't (and wouldn't) do the role any more. I remember this and am wary but in this situation there is some basic training and there does seem to be some support and I've also been told that I can go back to just serving banquets at the end of the upcoming season if I wish -they do want a commitment for the upcoming season. And it is $1.50 more and hour AND here's a kicker - I would also be 401(K) eligible.

Ultimately this is my decision but there are people here who know quite a bit about me even though they have never met me so I thought I'd run it by you'all. I am leaning kind of slightly towards giving it a try - what do you'all think? My reason: There seems to be support here that my last brush with management completely lacked. Rob

PS Here's a funky bit of info too - I'd be health care insurance eligible, too - not ObamaCare but actual employer provided health care! For me this is beyond funky. No dental though, but let's face it, I'd go to Mexico anyway for this so that's not a factor.

Came back to add - I would be the person dealing with any temp complaints/injuries/on site issues, too....and I've seen temps get hurt on the job before and have an idea of the deluge of paperwork involved - but this is covered in training I was told. And another factor is this is not a position - such as an office position with this temp service - where I have to factor in being moved around their chain of territory in the US. It's very much low level.

Give it a try after you weigh all the pros and cons. I am trying to find the cons in your post and struggling. You had a bad experience before so can better consider your concerns before you start.
    If the concerns are manageable, the pros outweigh them and it gives you an opportunity to try something new, 'go for it'.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Rob, this job certainly has more pros then cons. YOu are a bright, capable person so I would definitely give it a try. I also think you will be fair and empathetic. You deserve a chance to move up.

Moving to management requires that you don't take anything personally, don't talk about politics sex religion in the workplace, and staying rational and nonemotional as you handle each problem and are firm, fair, and consistent in all situations. That's what I've learned how to implement over the years.

I like management – but it is an adjustment.

If it doesn't work out are you able to return to your current position? If so, what is the harm in trying?

I will echo what others have said; I think it's a fantastic opportunity, especially since you could go back to a server role at the end of the season if you don't like it. I guess my one question is whether there would be a decrease in income due to loss of tips.

I say do it; the benefits alone are worth a great deal!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I will echo what others have said; I think it's a fantastic opportunity, especially since you could go back to a server role at the end of the season if you don't like it. I guess my one question is whether there would be a decrease in income due to loss of tips.
    Hi Rugarosa....There would be no loss of income as the temp service banquests rarely include tips but pay a flat hourly wage. My hourly wage would be $1.50 higher if I moved into this position, so it would actually mean more money for me. Rob

Here's an update: I have decided to give this a try with an open mind. I've seen other people in this position and I know that issues can arise and this position can be quite hair pulling and challenging (what job isn't though these days?) but I've held my own in this crazy business for years....I believe I am up to it and can do well if I apply myself. I will call the office manager Tuesday morning and tell her I'd like to begin training for this position during the next training class. We'll see how it goes. Thanks for your replies, everyone! Rob

Thread Information