Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting question about moving up in the workplace......

As others have said--you have nothing to lose. And if it's not for you, you will have tried. Good luck!

Leadership is a lonely place. Be ready to be stuck in the middle with your supervisor giving you critique more than praise. Be ready for your direct reports to be unhappy with any direction that comes from you that changes their work or that they perceive to be negative.

Leadership is not for the weak of heart. This is the reality of leadership and a hard lesson to learn.

And my comment to anyone who asks me? "leadership life is grand 95% of the time. The other 5% sucks. And there is nothing in between". and i personally love it!

Best of luck!
    "Like a bird on the wire, like a drunk in the midnight choir, I have tried in my way to be free." Leonard Cohen

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    And here's an update....I called the office of the banquet temp service this morning and I'm scheduled to begin training for the site supervisor position next Monday. Will keep an open mind and will give it my best, and to those of you who have said kinds words and wished me luck....Thank You! I really honestly appreciate that. Rob

Geila
    This is great news Rob! Congratulations on this new opportunity.

I think you will make a fantastic site supervisor because you know the job so well. Your empathy and compassion will make you a very supportive supervisor but one who knows what needs to be done to get the job done. And the benefits that come with the job are a big bonus! Yay!!!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    I'm about ready to leave the house to start training today - so glad I bought some business casual clothes on dollar clothing days from local thrift shops - those clothes are going to come in handy now. I'm a little nervous to be honest but will do my best and what will be will be. I'm also kind of excited and this is the first time I've been excited about work in general in some time, so that's good too - I didn't think it was possible for me to ever be excited about work again. Glad to be proven wrong here. Rob

Have a wonderful day Rob. Kind of like the first day of school!

Thread Information