Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Apache leader asks for apology from Obama

Apache leader asks for apology from Obama

Here's the article from a local news station. Apparently the leader of the Apache tribe thinks it was very insulting for the U.S. to use "Geronimo" as the code name for Bin Laden. I thought it was the code name for the mission.
    http://www.wthr.com/story/14572305/a...-for-code-name

I don't think they even thought of it as being a put-down of Geronimo. My understanding (from childhood days) is that its something you yell out, just as you're going into battle.
    What are your thoughts?

Anyone ever stationed at Ft. Sill is well aware of Geronimo's grave and his legacy. My only three memories of Ft. Sill are his grave, groundhogs, and Mt. Scott (artillery range). He was indeed a hero for many and deservingly so. If nothing else maybe this is a reminder of to all Americans of our shameful past with regard to Native Americans.

With regard to using the term "Geronimo" as the codeword for the OBL death, I think of "Geronimo" as badge of honor. People should use it to symbolize bravery! To symbolize going against odds!

Geronimoooooooo!

Peace

That's how I've always used the word ZZman! Our past is shameful, but I don't think the use of the word in this case was meant at all to be offensive or derogatory.

At the time when the news was released, and I heard that the code name for bin Laden was Geronimo, it made me feel a bit queasy. So I can imagine how Apache people feel, because from their point of view, Geronimo was a hero who fought for their homeland during a period of our history, when the Indian people were seen by many, if not most whites as little more than "vermin" to be exterminated so settlers could settle in that "empty country".

Maybe it's because we recently spent time in the Chiracahua Mountains, in SE Arizona, where Geronimo and others fought for their homeland, but I thought it really did show some certain amount of insensitivity by whoever in the military is charged with coming up with code names.

But, it isn't the first time, and probably won't be the last. When you're part of the dominant segment of society, often you are completely unaware of slights that would make someone NOT a part of the dominant group wince badly. I'm sure it was not any kind of deliberate attempt to sully the memory of Geronimo, just not thinking, but............

And especially since Osama bin Laden was the furtherest thing from "brave", as he sat in a million dollar house, safe (he thought), while he encouraged and sent out followers to murder. VERY unlike Geronimo for sure.
    Last edited by loosechickens; 5-4-11 at 9:14pm.

Hmmm....well if they were referring to Bin Laden as Geronimo, then I would find that offensive. I was thinking it was just the name of the mission.
    Why couldn't they have called him something like Lucifer?

Apparently, "Geronimo" has become a traditional USian battle cry. I know I've heard it used that way.

http://www.native-languages.org/iaq22.htm

Quote Originally Posted by loosechickens View Post
    At the time when the news was released, and I heard that the code name for bin Laden was Geronimo, it made me feel a bit queasy. So I can imagine how Apache people feel, because from their point of view, Geronimo was a hero who fought for their homeland during a period of our history, when the Indian people were seen by many, if not most whites as little more than "vermin" to be exterminated so settlers could settle in that "empty country".
    Interestingly, he did most of his fighting against the Mexicans after an invading force killed his family, and Geronimo wasn't actually his name. It seems that in one battle against the Mexicans, his repeated attacks on individuals with his knife caused several soldiers to call out for help from Saint Jerome (Jeronimo). When later stories were told of his exploits, the name became attached to him.

If you consider the incident with Bin Laden in that context, I think the Geronimo codename is quite appropriate.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I swear......in today's world, its almost impossible to know what the truth is about anything.

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I swear......in today's world, its almost impossible to know what the truth is about anything.
    It generally just requires critical thinking skills and a bit of research talent.

"The Internet is full of misinformation" - Thomas Jefferson

Geronimo's real name in Apache was Goyaale, (it was spelled several different ways), and Alan is correct....the name Geronimo was bestowed on him during battles with the Mexicans. He made war against both Mexico and the U.S. forces for a number of years, but eventually surrendered to U.S. authorities in 1886 and was held as a prisoner of war for a number of years.

it's too bad that they didn't choose another name.....I think I like CathyA's idea of "Lucifer".
    Last edited by loosechickens; 5-5-11 at 12:38am.

Thread Information