Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Irma is coming

Looks like Irma is coming

Im starting to put up the hurricane shutters and secure what we can. We are bugging out on Thursday or Friday. Thinking it might be a good time to go on a short vacation, thinking Tennessee.

Got the plane fueled up and ready to go. Last time we had a storm coming the insurance company would have paid to relocate the plane. I didn't go then, just a tropical storm, but I'm calling him today.

Stay safe dmc.

Dont worry about us, we will be hunkered down in Gatlingburg or Knoxville TN. Or somewhere around there, we haven't decided. I just got off the phone with my insurance agent and they will pay up to $1000 on fuel, food, rental cars, and hotel for me to leave. So that makes the decision to leave even easier.

But many stay for one reason or another. Those are the ones we need to be worried about. I offered to take my friends wife and daughter along, my treat, but they won't leave. I'm hopeing they will change their minds, I know he won't, but hopefully they will.

Sounds like you have a good plan. Do you think your house can withstand the winds? Are you close to the water?

Where I live we have canals that feed into the gulf. The Gulf is a mile or two away. I'm 10' Above sea level. The house was built to the latest hurricane codes, but when all those clay and concrete roof tiles start flying around at 150 mph I'm thinking the shutters are going to get some holes in them.

I guess we will find out. I just renewed my insurance policy and argued to get the value reduced. I'm thinking that may not have been the smartest move today.

Some are leaving, some are staying. We had a hurricane hit here in 2004. Most of the people I've talked to that were here then are leaving.

Ive got a close friend that won't leave, was here during the last hurricane. I've offered to take his wife and daughter with me, my treat, but they won't leave. To worried about the house and boat, I pay insurance to worry about stuff. I don't get it.

We are taking a few prized possessions with us, the Afghan my grandmother made for me, my wife's mothers cookbook, everything else we are putting away the best we can and will deal with it when the storm is over.

Be safe!

DMC: I agree that things can be replaced but people and pets not so much. I hope your house survives. You guys are smart to get out. I hope your friends change their minds.

Scary stuff - just saw a picture of the storm online - fortunately it is moving slow enough that everyone can get out of harm's way...

Out here in the west we are burning up - literally. Smoke levels are off the charts here in the Willamette Valley.

I talked to a friend in Corvallis today; she confirmed that the air quality is horrible there. My partner in Beaverton came out of dialysis this morning to find his car covered in ash. The Seattle area is hazy and the air has a yellowish tint. The Columbia Gorge is ablaze. Evacuations are being mandated east of Portland. Supposedly, there will be rain in Oregon tomorrow.We'll see...

Not everyone will get out of harm's way. Those that are stupid or think they're invincible will stay, and then wail for emergency services to save them when it's too late.

I have no sympathy for such people. They put emergency services personnel in harm's way because they couldn't be bothered to leave when they should have.

Thread Information