Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Irma is coming

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Dont worry about us, we will be hunkered down in Gatlingburg or Knoxville TN. Or somewhere around there, we haven't decided. I just got off the phone with my insurance agent and they will pay up to $1000 on fuel, food, rental cars, and hotel for me to leave. So that makes the decision to leave even easier.

But many stay for one reason or another. Those are the ones we need to be worried about. I offered to take my friends wife and daughter along, my treat, but they won't leave. I'm hopeing they will change their minds, I know he won't, but hopefully they will.
    I don't get it either. Hopefully, they come through the storm OK. Sheesh. Stuff is stuff. Stay safe yourself!

Safe travels!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    The pace and level of natural disasters lately is just mind boggling to me.....makes me glad to live in Arizona, though here we do have fires most years and some years very bad. This year not so bad -Arizona's usual luck with fires seems to have went elsewhere this year. And it's so crazy for me to see pics of the Columbia Gorge ablaze after I spent five years of my life in Portland, OR - I remember in winters when we would have a cold snap often icy winds would blow over the city from the Columbia Gorge and this is when Portland would get ice -very nasty to drive in and funky for Tri-Met (the transit authority in Portland or at least in the 90's when I was there) buses to tackle. And now the Gorge is ablaze - in OREGON of all places, which to me will be forever green in my memory. Just amazing. Rob

Came back to add: Anyone in Irma's potential path please make wise choices......your life and your pets can't be replaced, most material objects can. And let's hope that Irma decides to be fickle and changes path and doesn't do as much damage as feared.....though even if this were to happen, it looks like Puerto Rico is going to be walloped.

The ones I always worry about are the elders who are mentally and physically unable to leave without help. In Houston, there were flat bottomed boats rescuing wheelchair and bedridden patients from a one floor nursing home with over 2 feet of brown nasty water in it. (and it was not the Dickinson nursing home that had people in wheelchairs waiting in water for someone to help that made it to the media) Or the oxygen dependent or electricity dependent patients at home.

Looks like I'm taking one additional passenger. A college girl is doing her internship here and is looking for a way out. So I can at least do a little good deed. Still planning on leaving Thursday.

Looks like I'm taking one additional passenger. A college girl is doing her internship here and is looking for a way out. So I can at least do a little good deed. Still planning on leaving Thursday.
    Get outta there, dmc! Way to go!

it annoys and irks me no end that dumb humans hang out when thay CAN leave, causing emergency personnel to risk themselves. Screw that.

I've got the room and car rental set up. Put some extra chlorine in the pool. Should be in the Smokie Mountains tommorow afternoon. Plan on spending a few days there and then head west. One problem they had the last big storm was the power was off for quite a while. I have a generator, but it's not that big. It is quite though, I bought it back when I had a travel trailer.

people are getting a little crazy, they are pissed that the stores have run out of water, and some of the gas stations are out of fuel. We keep some water on hand just because, and I filled up with fuel last week, don't they watch the news?

and tap water won't kill them, start filling up some bottles.

and tap water won't kill them, start filling up some bottles.
    Well, they might not have any bottles. The only bottles in my house are the big jugs of water I buy at the supermarket, specifically for the emergency kit. I drink tap water all the time.

My office has a team of 6 people in Florida right now. They flew out Sunday and are scheduled to fly back Saturday. Which I don't think is going to happen. I understand that the company is trying to find other flights out on Thursday, so the team can get as much work done as possible before leaving, but flights are scarce. I don't know why they didn't delay the training in the first place.

I'm dog sitting two dogs for one of my co-workers who is down in Florida. At least she knows I'll take care of them as long as necessary. I'm not sure how the dogs would deal with an extended visit, though. One of them is terrified of my cat. And the cat is taking full advantage of tormenting him.

On the news tonight they said there were 2 more hurricanes forming in the Atlantic. What's going on?

Also on the news, a lady with a little boy said she was staying put on the coast in Florida because when they built her house, they built it with the new codes. She said the windows are even bullet-proof.
    Who would take a chance like that with their child??

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    On the news tonight they said there were 2 more hurricanes forming in the Atlantic. What's going on?
    Hurricane season.

Thread Information