Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looks like Irma is coming

Yppej
    It may hit Miami. When I lived in south Florida I remember staying hunkered down one weekend because a controversial court decision was expected with possible riots. Post-hurricane looting would not surprise me.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellane View Post
    Well, they might not have any bottles. The only bottles in my house are the big jugs of water I buy at the supermarket, specifically for the emergency kit. I drink tap water all the time.

My office has a team of 6 people in Florida right now. They flew out Sunday and are scheduled to fly back Saturday. Which I don't think is going to happen. I understand that the company is trying to find other flights out on Thursday, so the team can get as much work done as possible before leaving, but flights are scarce. I don't know why they didn't delay the training in the first place.

I'm dog sitting two dogs for one of my co-workers who is down in Florida. At least she knows I'll take care of them as long as necessary. I'm not sure how the dogs would deal with an extended visit, though. One of them is terrified of my cat. And the cat is taking full advantage of tormenting him.
    Fill up every glass on n your house with water. Put some plastic wrap over the top. Use every storage container. Bowls can be filled with water and covered with plastic

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Fill up every glass on n your house with water. Put some plastic wrap over the top. Use every storage container. Bowls can be filled with water and covered with plastic
    And don't forget - you probably have a fair bit of water in your hot water heater, and your toilet tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    Oh, I know that. But not everyone does. I have some bottled water for drinking in an emergency, and then fill up the bathtub and all the pots and pans with water--the bathtub for flushing the toilet and the pots and pans for cooking and washing and stuff.

One time a hurricane knocked out power on my street--and took down power lines in several places so that no one in a three mile stretch of road could drive off the street--for three days (we were a back road and other power lines servicing greater numbers of people had to be dealt with first). And with no power, the pumps for the wells didn't work. I think there was only one other house besides mine that had enough supplies of food and water and a camping stove to cook on. I had a stack of dirty dishes at the end, because I was being really careful with the water, but that was about the only issue I had. That, and explaining why I couldn't get to work.

Checked into the motel at Gatlingburg Tn. Got a jeep for a rental car and ready to check the area out.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Cellane View Post
    Oh, I know that. But not everyone does. I have some bottled water for drinking in an emergency, and then fill up the bathtub and all the pots and pans with water--the bathtub for flushing the toilet and the pots and pans for cooking and washing and stuff.

One time a hurricane knocked out power on my street--and took down power lines in several places so that no one in a three mile stretch of road could drive off the street--for three days (we were a back road and other power lines servicing greater numbers of people had to be dealt with first). And with no power, the pumps for the wells didn't work. I think there was only one other house besides mine that had enough supplies of food and water and a camping stove to cook on. I had a stack of dirty dishes at the end, because I was being really careful with the water, but that was about the only issue I had. That, and explaining why I couldn't get to work.
    A top loading washer can also be filled.
    Probably not drinkable but good for toilets,dishes....

we live 25 miles west of Chattanooga, TN and are amazed at seeing so many FL tags.

I guess most motels just of I-75 on the way North were filled and they just kept driving.

We expect 1-3" rain and gusting wind from the storm.

We are going to visit the kids, and some friends in St. Louis tomorrow. Looks like the storm was not as bad for us as it was predicted. According to friends who checked out our property, the only damage was screen damage around the pool and lanai enclosure. We even have power. We plan to return later in the week.

Hope everyone else fares well.

Thread Information