Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: More from Transylvania

How was the wine? What is the suggested pairing with lard?
    I've always had a thing for bats and vampires and assorted monsters. I've read Stoker's Dracula a few times. What a cool trip!

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    How was the wine? What is the suggested pairing with lard?
    Usually the recommendation is for a lighter red, like a Beaujolais, to offset the heaviness of the meal and cut through the -- umm -- grease.

IL, those pictures make me want to visit!
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

For Flowerseverywhere and others who like flowers, we stopped at the largest Botanical garden in Romania this sfternoon. They had a very nice display of hybrid tea roses, but I am not much of a rose fan. But the garden also had a stunning display of dahlias. It was the best dahlia garden I have ever seen!

we havent seen much in the way of flowering plants in parks in either The Czech
    Republic or in Romania ntil now. However, most of the country people have flowers spilling out of their yards, we can see them because most houses line the highway.

Attached Images Attached Images

Really enjoying these photos, IL! Thanks for taking us with you!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Today's Transilvania castle

Todays visit to The Citidel at Alba Lulia ( still in Transilvania) which is a military/ government complex with beautiful buildings in gracious proportions, presented in a sophisticated way. Romania can be proud of this historical attraction.
    pictured is the Orthodox church, and there is a Lutheran one right next to it. Romania has complex religious histories.

Nice! Thanks!

Also today, we had an authentic dinner at a village house and then got a tour of their farmette. Yes, lard was one of the starters. Also we had stuffed peppers! Love those things.

Oh, I forgot this. It is the trapdoor in the big castle. The king would issue his decision about the fate if someone charged with a crime and if it was thumbs down the trap door opened and the poor guy went to his death.

Talk about Swift Justice!

Must look up the history of Transylvania but I bet it was a number of little principalities similar to other parts of Europe. Looks beautiful! it se
    Does it that the Count Dracula could have come from here. Is it ghoulish enough?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    Must look up the history of Transylvania but I bet it was a number of little principalities similar to other parts of Europe. Looks beautiful! it se
    Does it that the Count Dracula could have come from here. Is it ghoulish enough?
    yes, Romania as we know it now had several parts, all were united in 1918. Transylvania has wild topography in some places, suitable background for scary stuff!

Vlad Dracul is a guy who ruled Transylvania, and is respected there. The vampire legend is entirely created by Bram Stoker's book, Dracula. There is no tradition of vampires in Romania. Romanians think it is all a bit silly, the Dracula stuff.

Thread Information