Thread: Bhagavad-Gita

Bhagavad-Gita

I am currently reading the Bhagavad-Gita.

It is interesting and so poetic. Though I will say I don't feel like I am understanding all of it.

My purpose is to work my way through the books of the world's biggest religions. This is a super slow process...

Thoughts on the Bhagavad-Gita?

Geila
    I like falafel! It's made with pita. So I think I would like the Bhagavad-Gita too.

(jk UA, you've been so serious lately, I couldn't resist).

I really like it. I think the best translation is the one translated and annotated by Easwaran. He explains it as you go along, which is so helpful in interpreting the different sections. It's one of my nightstand books.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Geila View Post
    I like falafel! It's made with pita. So I think I would like the Bhagavad-Gita too.

(jk UA, you've been so serious lately, I couldn't resist).
    Baklava Pita.

Sanskrit is a super language to learn, there's so much amazing literature there.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Sanskrit is a super language to learn, there's so much amazing literature there.
    I am reading a translation from Sanskrit to English. Other than learning some key phrases when I travel somewhere, I don't speak or read anything other than English. No time to learn...

More power to you if you learned Sanskrit!

I read it and went "ho, Hum". I bought the book and gave it away. It was poetic but I find Shakepeare or other poets much more enjoyable.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I really like it. I think the best translation is the one translated and annotated by Easwaran. He explains it as you go along, which is so helpful in interpreting the different sections. It's one of my nightstand books.
    I also have the translation by Eknath Easwaran (also on my nightstand); wonderful introduction and narratives with each chapter. We studied the Gita during yoga teacher training; this included a study with a Hindi spiritual woman. The take away was "do your best, but don't get attached to the outcome of your actions." Similar message to the Christian "Thy will be done." Many yoga studios (the good ones) offer classes and guest speakers on the Gita. I strongly recommend that you supplement your reading of the Gita with one of these classes. So enriching and inspirational. Enjoy!

Edited to add: Yoga teacher training included Sanskrit. Not just for the asanas/poses. A wonderful ancient language that Latin is based on.

Thread Information