Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: We evacuated

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Last update shows 80mph winds forecast at my house. In Virginia with lots of other Forisians. We went a little west once we were out of Florida and had little traffic. Just going a few more hours north to family tomorrow. I am so thankful we left

Glad you'll be with family! You definitely did the right thing getting out when you did.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I left Miami today with my kids. My husband refused to leave the house. My father and brother flew down to Miami this morning to accompany me and my three kids up north in my van. I'm so sorry my husband refused to come. I packed only essentials. Looked around at my home and mentally said goodbye. I'm so hoping that my husband stays safe. Most of our shutters were up but DH told me to go and that he'd do the rest. It was really hard to leave him. But I have to think of my kids.

Yppej
    Stuck inside with kids and no power would definitely be no fun even if nothing worse happened. I'm glad you have family to help you with them at this time.

I am so worried about the elders and poor. The 96 year old in the following article and her fellow residents wont do well.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/weat...171803757.html

Quote Originally Posted by TVRodriguez View Post
    I left Miami today with my kids. My husband refused to leave the house. My father and brother flew down to Miami this morning to accompany me and my three kids up north in my van. I'm so sorry my husband refused to come. I packed only essentials. Looked around at my home and mentally said goodbye. I'm so hoping that my husband stays safe. Most of our shutters were up but DH told me to go and that he'd do the rest. It was really hard to leave him. But I have to think of my kids.
    Which evacuation zone were you in? I'm not understanding why your husband refused to leave the house - was he afraid of looting, etc.? I just can't get my mind around it. Hope he stays safe.

We do not live in one of the two zones that were evacuated. Zones A and B were evacuated. We are in Zone C. DH had more faith in our house than I do. But I have friends who lived through Andrew. I have heard enough of their stories. I hope to God the forecast is wrong bc the center of the cone passes through my area. He says that our house has been through plenty of storms and came through fine. I'm not going to take that chance when I have this option. I have lots of friends who stayed though.

A friend's daughter and BF lived in Key West and are not evacuating. They are stupid, stupid people. Hurricane warnings have been posted, as well as storm surge warnings for the Keys.

Quote Originally Posted by TVRodriguez View Post
    You did the right thing to keep the kids safe. I can't imagine how hard that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    A friend's daughter and BF lived in Key West and are not evacuating. They are stupid, stupid people. Hurricane warnings have been posted, as well as storm surge warnings for the Keys.
    Oh my goodness. In the keys they even evacuated all emergency personnel and said don't bother calling 911. One of the last things they did was drive the city busses around to pick up anyone who had not been able to leave yet and drive them out The storm surge there is expected to be 20 feet. There is the potential of Harvey or Katrina destruction or even worse. What part of "strongest storm ever" do they not understand?
    So sorry when I hear these stories.

Thread Information