Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: We evacuated

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    It's so weird to see all this horrible stuff happening.......while our lives go on as usual..
    It's fascinating in a way to see how human society is/will react to 24x7 live coverage of events in faraway places. Bad Stuff happens all the time, but until recently we didn't get to witness it in real-time, with such an amazing array of data and interpretative material available to us.

I've been recently considering a move to Iceland. If one active volcano there in particular decides to let loose, it will require the evacuation of most of the country. And these eruptions are not uncommon - 25% of the population was wiped out in 1783 by one.

https://grapevine.is/mag/2017/08/15/...-risk-of-deat/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidbr.../#59d9440053c8

Still hoping the best for your place, dmc. I can't imagine losing so many physical things to memories........like a cook book and a quilt. Your wife is probably also putting all her fears of everything into those particular things.
    Keep us posted dmc, and we all hope the best for you.
    thanks, we live between Naples and Sarasota, so it looks like we are going to get hit. We gave many things to our kids before we moved down, so that helps some. But I still have quite a bit of stuff that has been in the family for quite a while, and is valuable, that may be lost.

If the damage is due to flooding and we have to rely on flood insurance to pay, it will be costly. But I knew that when we moved there. We have plenty of coverage for wind.

But we are fortunate and don't have to worry about how we will move forward after the storm. We can rebuild, or move. Many dont have those choices.

We are headed to Missouri tommorow to visit my sister for a couple of days and will wait for reports of the storm damage from there.

I wouldn't have stayed in the Keys, not with the predicted storm surge. As a new york times article points out, there are 42 bridges between key west and the mainland. If any of those gets destroyed/seriously damaged, anyone further south will essentially be completely stranded and on their own. I'm glad to hear that they thought to utilize the buses to clear out as many people as possible that didn't have other options. I'll never forget the images of the school bus lot in New Orleans that was full of submerged buses that no one thought to utilize for evacuation during Katrina.

i'm glad to hear here that most of our Florida members have evacuated. I went to school at the U of Miami in the late 80's so I have plenty of friends down there to worry about without also worrying about people from other parts of my life like this forum. The stories from Andrew (2 years after I graduated and moved away) were pretty horrible. I'm not looking forward to hearing more stories like that this time around.

It's so weird to see all this horrible stuff happening.......while our lives go on as usual..
    Tell me about it. We just got home (literally, an hour ago) after spending two weeks in London and Paris. Had a great time. But these past several days my facebook feed has been blowing up with stories of Florida friends' preparations/evacuations/freakouts/etc. Meanwhile I'm posting pictures from the top of the Eiffel Tower, the D'Orsay and L'orangerie, and Buckingham Palace...

we live 25 miles west of Chattanooga, TN and are amazed at seeing so many FL tags.

I guess most motels just of I-75 on the way North were filled and they just kept driving.

We expect 1-3" rain and gusting wind from the storm.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Some pics from neighbors show a lot of little damage. Our Lanai screens have some damage. Some neighbors have trees down, damage to roof or solar panels. 10" of rain but it did not come onto my home. Some neighbors had leaky windows it was such a driving rain.
    All in all good news. Little things can be fixed. No loss of life reported anywhere near my house. Only minor property damage. Lots of debris on the streets and yards.

Just talked with a friend. Very little damage in our area as well. There is some sea wall damage and trees down. As far as our house we have some lanai screens torn and we are missing some eggs and champagne. If we don't get back soon there is risk of some wine and whiskey also vanishing.

Quote Originally Posted by dmc View Post
    Just talked with a friend. Very little damage in our area as well. There is some sea wall damage and trees down. As far as our house we have some lanai screens torn and we are missing some eggs and champagne. If we don't get back soon there is risk of some wine and whiskey also vanishing.
    One of our neighbors who had keys came over and borrowed Mustard. The stores were closed and they had a mustard emergency. Cracked us up.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    One of our neighbors who had keys came over and borrowed Mustard. The stores were closed and they had a mustard emergency. Cracked us up.
    How are you guys all communicating? Are cell phones functional? Internet for email?

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    How are you guys all communicating? Are cell phones functional? Internet for email?
    email,for,some, land or cell,phones for others. Power has been intermittent in my area as well as coverage. Some neighbors sent out group emails after checking n neighbors. Plus we are getting some local news.

Thread Information