Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: We evacuated

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar

We evacuated

Locked up our house after taking everything inside, put everything we thought we could not replace inside and headed north. What a zoo, even today. Most of my neighbors decided to stick it out. Like Houston, most of Florida has experienced a building boom, in swamps and drainage areas and I fear that could cause even more flooding.
    We are around Macon Georgia. Atlanta Motor Speedway is letting people camp there for free. We decided to stay here as we are exhausted. Had to get off 75 x 2 to avoid huge traffic jams. 95 was just as bad. The rest stops, where we switched drivers were jammed. People on the grass parking, a big mess.
    We are continuing north to visit family.

I'm really glad we left. They are opening shelters tomorrow for people who can't evacuate. Some people don't have the money or are in poor health.

Good choice. How blessed you are to have a safe place to go to.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Glad you got away. It's not worth the risk to stay.

Glad you went to safety, flowers.

We are very glad. Before we left I gave my neighbors ten gallons of bottled water I keep for emergencies, one didn't have a weather radio so I left ours with them, and they were greatful.

What was was surprising is how few things we thought were really important.

This morning as as we were finalizing packing we had a big thunderstorm. The streets were flooded. We have had lots of rain and all the drainage ponds are full. Also, I only know one other person besides us who has flood insurance.

Going south there were quite a few emergency vehicles, like utility and bucket trucks to clear trees.

I hope there is as little little damage as possible but I am increasingly fearful as I watch this massive storm.

Stay safe, and I hope your home dodges damage!

Where in FL do you live? Just curious, if you boarded up, as it doesn't sound like you did.

Stay safe?

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    Where in FL do you live? Just curious, if you boarded up, as it doesn't sound like you did.

Stay safe?
    inland, 40 miles from the coast. We did not board up. This morning it looks like there is not enough plywood in the country to board up everyone on the path.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Stay safe, and I hope your home dodges damage!
    i love my house but I had no emotions leaving it. We are safe and when we got here last night felt so relieved. Off later to some historical site DH is interested in.

I'm glad you're safe, and hope everyone in the storm's path survives this latest wave of extreme weather.

Thread Information