Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: We evacuated

Walking away from your home must be very hard. Be Safe and hoping for miracles!

I worry about those who--for whatever reason--can't leave. Lack of transportation, being elderly and infirm, having nowhere to go...It would be logistically impossible for everyone in the potential impact area to get out, it seems to me. What a nightmare.

jane, I worry about the same population. The old, infirm, on the edge of demenia, without close friends and help. There are more of them than we realize.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Two thumbs up to you for evacuating. And you are right - in these situations you learn how little material things overall mean and what is truly important. Good for you for putting your safety first! Rob

I'm glad to hear you are out and safe. I just cannot imagine having to do that...and worry too about those who have no where to go and no means of getting anywhere safe.

Glad you are out!

Friends from South Beach Miami it took them 6 hours to go less than 200 miles. They made hotel reservations for last night but were amazed at the amount of people sleeping in their cars in the hotel parking lot. They said traffic was basically a parking lot and gas was running short. They still have 300+ miles to go today to get to Atlanta friend's home. Another friend needed to wait till today to leave South Beach. I'm anxious to hear her tale of travel woes.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    They are opening shelters where I live so I think everything that can be done is being done. All over the south there is a lot of poverty and low wages so everyone that can be fully prepared or can get out early should do so and let resources go to those who really need it. We were gassed up and had our shelter in place and evacuation preps done last week.

So glad you got out. At this stage of my life if I had to leave I would take my pets and their stuff and go. Nothing else really that important. It's sad for the older people with limited mobility, etc. Some of the pictures were heartbreaking of people in wheelchairs sitting in water waiting for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    So glad you got out. At this stage of my life if I had to leave I would take my pets and their stuff and go. Nothing else really that important.
    We live in an area that is at very high risk for wildland fires. If one gets going seriously, there's very little chance of stopping it.

So our plan all along has been to be able to leave the house in <10 minutes during wildfire season, taking only us and the pets. We drill this a few times a year, ideally we manage 5 minutes.

Three years ago I fought a wildland fire that was only 3 lots away from mine, and downhill from our home. It was about 2/3s of acre at its maximum size. (Which sounds small, but in dense forest, it's a bit daunting...) If it had jumped the fire line we established, we would have almost certainly lost our home. While I was working the fire, my wife, daughter, and pets had evacuated. I spent the next several years removing some vegetation from the lower slopes of my lot, and put in some defensive lines, but that'll only buy me a little time if there's a big fire.

Geila
    Glad that you got out and have somewhere safe and comfortable to stay. What a scary time for those unable to leave.

Thread Information