Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A Torn Meniscus

I'm sorry you are having to wait so long...after waiting so long already!
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Well, it's partly my fault for waiting so long to see a doctor in the first place! I just didn't want to make a mountain out of what I thought was a molehill, but after almost six months, it's been pretty clear that I did do something to my knee when I fell.

And just when I got out of debt from the broken toe of two summers ago, here we go again...

It's a lot better than it used to be - my kneecaps started randomly popping out of place when I was a teenager. Pre-arthroscopic surgery, I've got close to 2 feet of incision scars. And the healing time was a lot longer. But they haven't popped out of place since and I've had a pretty good life with them. I'd do it just because it's likely to get worse over time.

Quote Originally Posted by creaker View Post
    It's a lot better than it used to be - my kneecaps started randomly popping out of place when I was a teenager. Pre-arthroscopic surgery, I've got close to 2 feet of incision scars. And the healing time was a lot longer. But they haven't popped out of place since and I've had a pretty good life with them. I'd do it just because it's likely to get worse over time.
    That is true. A torn meniscus can tear up the bone surface cartilage doing a great deal of damage!

I had the surgery on Tuesday; I have to admit it's been a little harder than I thought it would be, mostly due to the fact apparently my body CANNOT tolerate Oxycodone as a pain killer. I took a total of five 5mg doses spaced out four hours apart and became so nauseous and constipated (sorry for the TMI here) that I had to stop taking them. I was up for three hours last night practically writhing with stomach pain and my knee really hurt to boot so I took some 600 mg. Ibuprofin (which didn't help the stomach much) but allowed me to fall asleep until 9am. I do feel better now and am eating some very plain oatmeal, waiting for the doctor's office to call back with pain management instructions.

I had to take today off from the gallery (I'm not sure how I thought I was going to be able to work in the first place, as it hurts to put weight on my knee and I'm all wrapped up in thick gauze anyway). I hope today is the turning point and I can get on with things!

Sorry for the med issues. That's no fun for something that is supposed to help you. Hope you heal quickly.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

I think I was given Percocet. Worked well for me -- though, who knows? It could be bad for someone else and I might not do well with Oyxcodone. I hope they fix that problem quickly, SQ. Just hang in there; this is the hard part. Once you get past the pain management, every day will get better.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Agree with SteveinMN. Did your doctors give you a time frame on when the pain would be moderating - e.g., 25% better in 5 days, or 50% better in a week? That way at least you can keep your eyes on the calendar and start to see the end in sight.

I've had 2 relatives who had knee surgery this year (both were replacements) and they both said the first 2 weeks was the hardest, but it definitely tapered off after that. I think both were also sensitive to the opioid issues that are in the news everywhere and so wanted to get off pain meds as soon as they felt they could do so. That said, don't forget that Physical Therapy will be another time for pain management, although much less than post-op, I'm sure. My relative said the trick is to stay on top of the pain and don't let it get away from you because that's when you're tempted to ramp up the dosage.

All the best for your recovery, SiouzQ.

Quote Originally Posted by SiouzQ. View Post
    I had the surgery on Tuesday; I have to admit it's been a little harder than I thought it would be, mostly due to the fact apparently my body CANNOT tolerate Oxycodone as a pain killer. I took a total of five 5mg doses spaced out four hours apart and became so nauseous and constipated (sorry for the TMI here) that I had to stop taking them. I was up for three hours last night practically writhing with stomach pain and my knee really hurt to boot so I took some 600 mg. Ibuprofin (which didn't help the stomach much) but allowed me to fall asleep until 9am. I do feel better now and am eating some very plain oatmeal, waiting for the doctor's office to call back with pain management instructions.

I had to take today off from the gallery (I'm not sure how I thought I was going to be able to work in the first place, as it hurts to put weight on my knee and I'm all wrapped up in thick gauze anyway). I hope today is the turning point and I can get on with things!
    I hope they got back to you. If not, always eat with the pain killers. Always take a laxative each morning you're using an opioid. If you really don't want to take those, take 2 Aleve every 12hours.

They must have done more than just debride/remove a torn meniscus for the pain you describe. It sounds like bone pain to me. Did they clean up some surface damage in your joint? When they do that, it's like a new injury that brings it's own pain from which we recover.

Also remember, you are recovering from anesthesia. That has it's own issues and it takes much longer than most people think to clear all that out of your body.

And hopefully you are using ice liberally...20 minutes per hour. And elevate as much as possible.

I empathize......mine was last year March. I had significant bone surface debridement and was surprised at the pain I had. The above plan worked well. But I ended up off work for 3 weeks which really surprised me (the downside of a standing/running job of a Nurse).

Take good care.

What a difference a day makes! I feel so much better today! I barely feel any pain anymore, and just a little stiffness still. Bandages come off tomorrow and I can take a shower! Stopping the opiods was the best thing to do.

Thread Information