Thread: Getting away for the weekend.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Getting away for the weekend.....

Something interesting has happened and I and my SO find ourselves with three days in a row off (actually he is working lunch downtown today and then is off until Monday morning). I really need a break from everything and a chance to take a breather before training for my new job starting on Monday. We were thinking of going down to Nogales to visit my SO's family again (and that still is not off the table) but I am thinking more of Tucson, a city I've always liked and one that does not involve crossing a border. Off season rates still in effect there right now, too.

Just need to get away from the media and if I'm going to be honest, the 85006 for a little bit. Things are so intense now and I just want to focus on being the best I can be with this new opportunity starting Monday. On the one hand, I feel guilty for bailing, but on the other, 12 years ago when I was making very good money at California Pizza Kitchen I used to just take off whenever I could - a few of you who may remember that far back might remember I'd often take off for Tucson for a couple of days and stay at the Roadrunner Hostel. Why should I feel guilty for leaving now when it was OK back then?

At any rate, I'm taking off for a couple of days later today and won't be back until Sunday 8PM-ish......it will be so nice to catch up on sleep and if it's still in business, I know an economical Guatemalan restaurant downtown. Just nice to get away! Rob

Have a great weekend.
    Congrats on the new job - is it the same kind of banquet work?
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Float On View Post
    Have a great weekend.
    Congrats on the new job - is it the same kind of banquet work?
    Thank You, Float On, I appreciate it!

I will be training for a site supervisor position - a very low level on site supervisory position, with the same temp service and for the same clients. Get this - something that floors me - the Office Manager who asked me if I'd be interested in training for this job told me she'd seen leadership ability in my work and this is why she'd asked me. I'm still floored by this. But regardless I want to approach this with an open mind and give it my best and see how it works out for me. Rob

Have a great weekend escape and DO NOT FEEL GUILTY! None of us is so important that 3 days away from the insanity will make it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Have a great weekend escape and DO NOT FEEL GUILTY! None of us is so important that 3 days away from the insanity will make it worse.
    I agree. If you're looking for a real "get off the planet" restaurant, one time my colleagues and I got out of a market research conference and asked about restaurant options. I'm SURE we misunderstood the concierge, because we wound up driving WAYYYY up this mountain where the temperature dropped 30 degrees, and when we got there, it was pitch dark out, we did find a restaurant, but not what we were expecting. It was like Twilight Zone--for us as much as the patrons. We walked in with our conference outfits (black blazers, heels, pencil skirts) and it was like a Chris Farley comedy--everyone in the restaurant and at the bar turned simultaneously to stare at us with a "who the hell are you" look.

We had a beer and then made our swift way back down the mountain. But I'm sure it was a nice place. If we had changed into our jeans and flannels before we went, we probably would have stayed a while!

Have a wonderful time! You deserve it!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I am back....wonderful weekend and so nice to get away! We were going to go to Nogales, Mexico originally but we were both stressed out and I was not really into crossing the border - or the worries of dealing with US CBP on the way back (though I will admit the second to last time was actually pleasant and the last time, though very strange and Rod Serling-ish was not threatening and did not raise the hackles on my neck as US CBP has before) - so we ended out staying in Tucson where I got a good deal on priceline.com and my husband's family crossed the border this time and came to see us. It was wonderful as these are great people I feel honored to be related to now....though my marriage is not as of yet recognized in the state of Sonora, Mexico.

I was able to unplug and get away from the 85006 and I have come to two conclusions: Right now I want to be all about giving it all to this new job opportunity I start training for tomorrow and I also want my week's training pay to somehow go to victims of Irma. I will continue my activism as time allows but as banquet season is about to start and since I'm going to be on site F/T I won't have the time to participate in every 85006 event for justice. My spirit will be with the 85006 but I am about to start working long hours and long weeks with lots of overtime available. Translation, I can't be all places at once and I can only do what I can.

And my husband and I need to get away more often! We are thinking of Tecate next time, a border town that's safer than most and a place I have always wanted to see. Rob

Oftentimes, Rob, it is necessary to say no to the clamoring and say yes to yourself. You and your husband need time together that is peaceful and without angst. I'm glad Tucson was restful.

Quote Originally Posted by nswef View Post
    Oftentimes, Rob, it is necessary to say no to the clamoring and say yes to yourself. You and your husband need time together that is peaceful and without angst. I'm glad Tucson was restful.
    Thank You, nswef. That sounds like great advice to me! Gotta remember that I can't realistically be all things to all people. Rob

Glad you had a good time.
    Getting away and recharging, refocusing, and just doing something fun is so good for our souls.
    Float On: My "Happy Place" is on my little kayak in the coves of Table Rock Lake.

Thread Information